My mistake

luvncanninAugust 5, 2014

Well I decided to try Annie's salsa. I do not care for hot food but I wanted a really spicy recipe for friends. As per recipe I used 1 3/4 cup total peppers using more jalapeno and chile than bell. It still isn't hot. so can I just recommend they add fresh jalapeno when they open it or do you know if it will get hotter as it sits? and
My neighbor said the jalapenos I am growing are really hot this year.
I like it ,my son said good flavor but not hot enough.
Also I am out of tomatoes and its 60 miles to town. So for this gift of canned goods it is what it is. Funny my pickles are way hotter than the salsa.
Thanks all
kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvncannin

Ok well I was reading yet another thread of Annies salsa and found that yea it does get hotter as it sits. I think I read 20 threads last night.
So do you think 2 weeks would be a good amount of time or longer?
kim

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 9:55AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

The longer the better. The underlying assumption in home canning is that the canned foods will not be consumed for some time - like months later - as that is the point of preservation, preserve now to use later when the produce is out of season.

Of course that doesn't mean you can't eat it now, just that it is a waste of time and effort and energy to can it if it is going to be eaten as in-season fresh produce. You might as well make it for fresh eating rather than canning.

So as a gift, give it but just tell them to save it to eat later for best flavor. And they can add whatever they want to it after opening the jar.

Dave

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 11:15AM
luvncannin

That's true for my personal storage. usually when I give as a gift they want to open now !
I think what I will do is stop on my way and pick up ingredients to fix fresh pico and tell them to hold off on the jars. Thanks Dave
kim

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 4:07PM
ahbee01(z5 OH)

In Annie's recipe can you sub some cayenne pepper for the black pepper? Would that be safe? That can always be added after opening if they don't want to wait!

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 11:19AM
kriswrite(zone 8)

It is not a hot salsa recipe, if you follow the original recipe exactly. So I would tell your friends to add more hot peppers after opening, if they like.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 6:40PM
More Discussions
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™