Rooting hoya with a bloom

trini1triniJanuary 28, 2010

I am currently trying to root a NOID hoya and boy am I realizing this is not a good time to root hoyas as I am having low success. Anyway, the NOID hoya doesn't seem to have any roots yet but it is developing a bloom. Should I cut this off so it can put the energy into rooting? I've been trying to root this for about 3 weeks now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denise_gw(5)

Trini,

OMG, I hate to say it, but yes, I would force it to abort the bloom. My instinct says "Nooo", but your plant needs its energy to root. (Sniff-sniff...) I'd snip the whole peduncle off, in spite of the fact that they re-bloom from the same peduncle. This will prevent it from trying to rebloom

Put your cutting, pot and all, in a very humid environment, like a terrarium or a fish tank. That will help this time of year.

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 10:38PM
trini1trini

Waaaaaah! Say it ain't so.
OK, I guess I will have to cut it off. :>(
Thanks Denise.
T-

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 5:32AM
denise_gw(5)

I know - it bites! I've had them bloom in the process of rooting, but only during the ideal time of year, and even then, I think it will certainly delay good root formation. In the end, you'll get some blooms early, I'll bet, since it came off a blooming plant.

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 9:25AM
More Discussions
In search of Shooting Star
Hi Everyone - I am just getting into Hoyas and I would...
Houndhome
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
Is this a hoya?
Don't know if it's a weed or a type of hoya. It's either...
Tanjil Wright
Rehabilitating Problematic H. obovata
Hello. I acquired H. obovata sometime last autumn and...
fakechuchi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™