Loving the blooms that remain

opnjmprsAugust 9, 2014

At this point I have more seed pods than blooms, so I'm really appreciating the blooms that remain.

Katherine Marin is a late bloomer here. and like the little girl with the curl.....she is either very very good, or not. I love her anyway.

Butch and Barbara's Cracked Eggs continues to amaze with it's ability to open on cool mornings.

Heartbeat Of Heaven is always impressive and extremely pod fertile.

Open Season impressed me with it's color and edge, and it was new to the garden this year.

A couple late seedlings

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

wow, I can not pick me a favorite out of these as they are all beautiful. and them seedlings are gorgeous, too.I am injoying every ones beauties now as I have none blooming, just 2 blooming now with just one bloom a day, but,I think they have one bud left.
except for Beautiful edging and I found a rebloom scape on it, but only about 6 buds on it.

jean

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 12:35AM
mantis__oh

How is Open Season in regard to splotchiness? When Katherine Marin is not good, she...doesn't open well? Your Heartbeat of Heaven looks great, as do your seedlings.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 4:38AM
maximus7116(MI)

You know I like Cracked Eggs and it continues to impress, but your seedlings steal the show.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 9:37AM
organic_kitten(8)

Now it is just cruel to talk about cool mornings when it might be October before we have that luxury. but that is a very important trait, isn't it? They are all pretty, but Open Season and your first seedling are my favorites.
kay

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 10:56AM
opnjmprs

Mantis, Open Season just started blooming 5 days ago. The first flower open looked fine with no splotchiness. The 2nd opened on a rainy day and looked awful, and yesterday's bloom was a little splotched. Being as the plant hasn't been here for all that long, I really don't feel I can predictl whether it will continue to have that problem or not.

I only have 2 registered plants in the garden that are late bloomers. One is Benz "Ultimate Weapon", and the other is Katherine Marin. If temperatures are on the warm side in August, Katherine Marin is absolutely breathtaking. If the weather is on the cool side, it will tend to hang up badly, and add to that this plant has a tendency to want to double on occasion. When that happens it looks really bad. Most years it has looked good. This year not so good.

Linda

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 7:01PM
shive(6b TN)

Your two late seedlings look very nice! I especially like Katherine Marin.

Debra

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 7:38PM
celeste(zone 4 NH)

All very pretty but I love your seedlings best! I have quite a collection of late-bloomers because I feel so sad when the blooms wind down and I think you hit the jackpot with those seedlings. Not only are they pretty, but being late as well makes them even more desirable.

Celeste

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 8:56PM
nat4b(4)

They are all beautiful! Can't pick a favorite. So impressed with BABCE opening so well.
I also wanted to mentioned that I tried pollinating Red Friday this year (after seeing your seedlings :)) and she set pods! But.. now I see they are not growing, and some are drying out already. But I also put its pollen on many other things :)

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 10:59PM
gardenofeden777(8a central Louisiana)

Linda that last seedling is gorgeous, the other one is nice too but that last one is awesome.

And I love the colors on KATHERINE MARIN. I bought WHITE BASE
because I love the that color combo. And indeed the colors are snow white and a clear beautiful pink. But 2 years here and the bud count is low and the fans are relatively small. & no rebloom... And an ideal summer for daylilies this year I'd think. Tons of rain and really warm but not hot enough for the foliage to wilt, not even once. Hard to make some happy.

Rena'

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 11:12PM
opnjmprs

Rena', Your White Base is doing better than mine. Mine has 5-6 fans, and it didn't put up a scape this year, along with a half dozen other daylilies that decided to go on vacation as well. Plants all look healthy, but no scapes

nat4b, Congrats on the Red Friday pods. I can't wait to see what you get from those crosses. I have 4 nice size pods on my Red Friday right now, and have no clue who the pollen parent or parents are. I was so sure that it wouldn't set pods that I didn't bother to tag the crosses. lol

Linda

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 6:21PM
hostabff

I love them all too. The ruffles on your pink seedline are fantastic!

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 7:22PM
More Discussions
What are you most looking forward to this spring?
I know just having winter and all the aggravation it...
organic_kitten
Spiders in the garden.
I was thinking maybe we could do a post with everyone's...
Billi
Seedlings that you can't wait to see how they do this year
We all have some seedlings that we can't wait to see...
dragonflypond
Jean
I'm afraid Jean is discouraged. Hope she won't quit...
organic_kitten
Trying multiple pics
This is an experiment to see if I can insert muliple...
sherrygirl zone5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™