green beans... stringiness?

sheeshshe1(5a)August 21, 2010

OK, I dont' know what Im doing wrong, but when I cook up my green beans they're pretty stringy. I can't peel the strings off beforehand, it just doens't come off. they're too thin or something. so I figure that I am cooking them too long perhaps. they're yummy to eat raw and no stringiness issues then.

I want to get a pressure canner and preserve them for the winter but now I'm wondering if they're going to get super stringy in the pressure canner? is there something I can do so that they aren't gross when I'm done?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

How are you cooking them? If they aren't stringy to begin with (raw) then it is either that you are letting them mature on the vine too long or it is something in the way you are cooking them.

What variety are they? Most varieties now days are stringless but some of the older stringbean varieties are still around too. But either way they need to be picked while still young and tender and before they begin to fill out. Once the individual beans begin to develop in the pod they will be stringy.

You can learn more about that aspect over on the Vegetable Gardening forum.

Dave

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 11:25AM
sheeshshe1(5a)

I'm boiling them. maybe I don't know when to pick them, but this last time all of them were stringy even the ones that were not seedy at all. so I wonder if boiling them too long is the problem?

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 11:27AM
murkey(6)

We have grown half runners for years with good results.
( DH is a country boy and always plants them around the corn after it comes up, so they can climb up the cornstalks). This year it has been terribly hot and the beans are so tough and stringy they are all but inedible. I always string them well before cooking, but the last batch was so bad we pretty much had to chew out the pulp and then spit them out, even though I cooked them for over an hour. We still have a lot of beans out there, I'm thinking of just letting them dry and shelling them out. It has to be the weather, they are the same beans we have always grown. I have bad luck with bush beans,the rabbits always get them.

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 6:07PM
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

To me it sounds like the variety. I use Blue Lake bush beans. They are the only kind we plant.

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 6:55PM
srjohnt(6)

This was the worst bean year I can remember. We raised a new, highly touted variety, and some of our old reliables. ALL were terrible. Tough, fuzzy texture, and practically tasteless. Cardboard came to mind. We tried each variety, my daughter tried some, same result. Gotta be the extremely hot weather. We finally just let 'em go, and I mowed the vines off. No canned beans for us this year...

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 6:57PM
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

I am sorry about your beans. We are just now getting some to come on. So very late this year !

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 7:13PM
More Discussions
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™