Fig & Onion Sauce Recipe

vacplAugust 8, 2011

This is my go-to forum for finding canning and freezing info and recipes, so I was hoping someone here might have a suggestion for me. I'll have a glut of figs again this year, and I'm looking for a recipe that I would be able to can (preferably) or freeze that is quite similar to Stonewall Kitchen's Vidalia Onion Fig Sauce.

Their ingredient list includes: Sugar, Apples, Figs, Balsamic Vinegar, Vidalia Onion, Soy Sauce, Cider Vinegar, Orange Juice, Mustard, Salt, Curry Powder, Spices

Any suggestions? I've spent a lot of time googling, too, and have come up with the 2 posted below, but I'm not willing to try pressure canning them because I"m not sure they'll be safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fig Onion Sauce Recipes

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

As long as you freeze it you can use any recipe you want. The first one on your link sounds ideal.

But trying to make a cooking recipe into a canning recipe takes a lab for testing. Otherwise it is just guess work. No way to know how to process it, how long to process it, what the pH would be or the density, how the processing would affect the taste/texture, much less how safe it would be for shelf storage.

Dave

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 10:50AM
vacpl

Thank you. I realize that, so I'm asking if someone has a suggestion for a canning safe one that is similar. :)

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 11:05AM
cabrita(9b SoCal)

I have been canning habanero fig jam. It has onions, but in small quantities, so it is not quite the same. It is a jam, not a sauce. It is a big favorite around here though!

Can't wait for my figs to ripen. I have plenty of green beans, cucumbers and tomatoes to keep me busy right now though.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 12:15PM
vacpl

Oh, that sounds really good! Are you willing/able to pass on the recipe? I'd be shocked if I didn't have enough figs to make a batch. Lol.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 1:44PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Have you checked out the chutney canning recipes? Most all of them are various vinegar-based fruit and onion combinations with many of the other ingredients listed in your recipes linked above. Chutneys tend to be a little chunkier than sauces but they can always be pureed after opening.

I linked the ones from NCHFP below but the various canning books also offer many others.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Chutneys

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 2:31PM
cabrita(9b SoCal)

vacpl, we anxiously await for the figs to ripen since we have been making this hab fig jam. Before that, we felt we had an excess (two large old trees) of figs. Now we don't have enough!

I will kick up the thread that has the recipe, I posted it here.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 3:24PM
vacpl

cabrita - thanks; got it! I'm not sure how I missed it in my previous searches.

Dave - A chutney is definitely a possibility if I can find something close. Thanks for mentioning it.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Freezing Orange Juice
Has anyone successfully frozen orange juice? When I...
sautesmom
Future Leather Help
I made leather out of some super good tasting berry...
CA Kate
Dehydrate Bok Choy
Does anyone have an experience dehydrating Bok Choy....
compostman
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Loquat jam bwb
These recipes I am looking at don't talk about boiling...
tim45z10
Sponsored Products
Cappuccino Truffles - GOLD
$26.00 | Horchow
WearEver A8342465 Stainless Steel 3-quart Sauce Pan
Overstock.com
Onion Holder
$8.49 | zulily
Classic Onion Outdoor Pendant
Lightology
Cordelia Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Outdoor Post Lantern
$49.97 | Home Depot
Bayou Classic Cast Iron 2.5-qt Covered Pot
Overstock.com
Household Essentials Organization & Storage Veggie Bin with Liner Chrome C1317WS
$79.99 | Home Depot
Saber 3-burner Grill with Cast Stainless Steel Lid
$999.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™