Where are all the Zone 10 planters?

PlantnSWFLAugust 26, 2013

For all the Zone 10 planters out there... what grows and what doesn't grow for you?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
echobelly

I've been here only 4 years, so def. not an authority! Definitely try heliconia, mine are going crazy, but my Birds of Paradise are very fussy and won't bloom. Ferns, ferns, ferns for shady areas. I've got beds of Boston and Macho ferns replacing most of the side lawns. They spread quickly and choke out weeds. They're virtually no maintenance (except keeping them in bounds). I don't plant much in the ground, they just don't do well. I've got a lot of natives in front of the house in heavily amended and mulched soil. The wax myrtle and elderberry are doing great. I've planted some bananas, too. We've had mild frosts each year I've been here, so the bananas lose their leaves and look kinda sad, but they bounce back. Good luck!

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 7:11PM
jofus(9b/10a Englewood, Fl)

Have lived here for 9 years and will just list the plants I have had success with and those that didn't do well,..for me at least.
Recommended : Mango trees, key lime trees, bananas ( all kinds ), Southern Magnolia trees, and until 2011, Ruby Red grapefruits trees, ( citrus greening now a huge problem, - can't explain my thriving lime tree tho ).
Not recommended ( IMHO ) : Peach trees, ( even low chill, - too many critters ), tomatoes, avocado, blueberries, orange trees ( see grapefruit trees above).
Good luck !

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 9:36PM
keiki(10 FL)

I have been gardening in zone 10 for 20 years. Your question is pretty vague. Tons of stuff grow in zone 10. Are you wondering about fruit, veggies, nuts, herbs, tropicals, roses, butterfly plants, bamboo, orchids, begonias, bromeliads, grasses, natives, trees, or ????? All of these grow here, what do you like?

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 9:27PM
More Discussions
mature mango tree help
This will be our 3rd season in this house with a mature...
halfwaythere
need seeds
i was wondering if anyone can send me some seeds to...
the2015farmer
Mystery tree
Has small silvery/gray leaves, almost furry looking......
roselady35
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
Plant ID for North-Central Florida
Sorry for the bad pic. The camera lens fogged up a...
xentar_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™