Help with Discidia Question

teisa(6)February 17, 2013

This Dischidia is growing in a 5" pot. It has been in this pot for out 9 months. It is so rootbound that the water does not flow through, even if I leave water overnight. There will still be standing water in top the next morning. It is otherwise growing good and looks healthy. Does this mean its simply time to pot up?

I realized I misspelled the plant name. It would not allow me to edit the subject.

This post was edited by teisa on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 9:10

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn18810(z5)

Beautiful plant. I would definitely pot it. I would be concerned it was getting enough water at this point. I would also try to loosen up some of the roots.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 12:03PM
denise_gw

Will it take up water from the bottom? I find repotting Dischidias can backfire on me. When I do move up to a bigger pot, I try not to disturb the roots and move it up just a size larger - so maybe a 6", 8" max. And be careful how you water for awhile after. D. ovata is my favorite Dischidia and yours looks lovely!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 8:53PM
teisa(6)

Thanks both of you all! Denise it is in a ceramic pot hat has a bottom attached. So i really can't water it from bottom and it's not taking in ANY water from top! If I pour 1/4 cup, next morning its still sitting on top! It's really healthy. But its got to take in water, so I'm gonna repot it up 1 size. Thank you for the heads up on watching it CLOSELY. It was just a small rooted cutting from a very nice Hoya friend here on GW. It has grown like crazy!!

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 9:16PM
More Discussions
baby incrassata update cont'd.
And here are the babies...I know they're much too young...
shelley7950
Is it hoya?
Hi, I bought hoya carnosa seeds online. This is what...
hoyax
Rehabilitating Problematic H. obovata
Hello. I acquired H. obovata sometime last autumn and...
fakechuchi
Aurora, are the cuttings a no-go?
Hello, i was just inquiring about the hoya cuttings. I...
tlbean2004
rooting in semi-hydro media
I am going to try rooting my next batch of cuttings...
greentoe357
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™