Huernia quinta seed

karyn1(7a)February 9, 2011

I finally got a pod to ripen on one of my huernias (hoya relative). It's a H. quinta that was open pollinated. I have a small amount of extra seeds if anyone would like to try them. I was surprised at how fast they have germinated. I planted 5 seeds 2 days ago and 3 have already sprouted. Since it appears that the germination rate will be high I probably have enough for 2 people. BTW this is the first time I've attempted to grow huernias from seed and don't have any idea how easy or difficult they are but I believe they are quite susceptible to rot while young. Please post here if you'd like to try them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denise_gw

Karyn,

Let us know how the growth process goes for you. I have never had much success growing from seed, and Huernias I find particularly hard to tend through winter, even hardy old plants. But I keep trying! Their flowers are every bit as exciting as Hoyas, but harder to get.

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 10:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

I'm really surprised at how fast they are growing. They look a bit like adenium seedlings with little horns instead of leaves. The only issues I have with the huernias, stapelias, etc over the winter are the damn mealy bugs. They seem to be a lot hardier then hoya seedlings which I lost early on. I have more difficulty getting my hoyas to bloom then my huernias & stapelias. lol

Bookmark   February 17, 2011 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
If i give this hoya fertilizer will it branch off?
I have this fishtail cutting that has 5 leaves and...
tlbean2004
baby incrassata update cont'd.
And here are the babies...I know they're much too young...
shelley7950
Aurora, are the cuttings a no-go?
Hello, i was just inquiring about the hoya cuttings. I...
tlbean2004
Bloom trigger?
Growers, Hoya beginner here....I grow a wide variety...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Hoya?
Anyone know the name of this Hoya...about 3cm flower?...
marleneann
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™