Ursula Is Being A Witch!

moonwolf_gwFebruary 21, 2010

Hi everyone,

My KQ, Ursula, is having problems. I notice that some of the leaves have some brown edges, then yellow and fall off. One entire leaf has silver blotches on both sides. Not all the leaves are doing this, thank heavens. I checked the soil the other day and it isn't dry.

Fortunately there is new growth. She's been moved closer to the south window, and loves it there.

So what could it be? Fungus? Bugs?

I should also mention that I bought some Garden Safe Houseplant and Garden Spray at the grocery store the other day. I have yet to use it on my mealie-troubled plants.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonwolf_gw

I think I found my problem! I was reading one of my houseplant books and it says that too much water can cause older and newer leaves to yellow and fall. The brown tips may also have come from this. I'm going to have to change the soil when it comes time to repot. I have never repotted my KQ since I bought it. I hate to delay the blooming process since I see three peduncles on it.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 1:44PM
denise_gw(5)

Don't feel bad, Brad. It happens to all of us now and then. Right now, I have a couple that are being difficult. Today, I took a deep breath and chopped up my inperialis in hopes of saving it. I moved it to the north end of my GH in the fall because it was getting so big, I needed to support it on my trellis. Well, I set it on the floor and I think the cold floor might have been hard on it because it started getting yellow leaves that would eventually drop. I moved it, but I think it was too late. So, rather than let it keep declining, I made a bunch of cuttings out of it today hoping to save it. I'll keep the potted stump and put it outside this spring - it may well come back...

Just wanted you to know you're not alone!!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 6:04PM
mdahms1979

The silvery patches make me think of spider mite or Phalenopsis mite damage. Take a tissue and wipe the leaves and if they stain the tissue a reddish colour they are spider mites. Do the leaves look like they have tiny pin holes where the mites may have been feeding?

Mike

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 6:10PM
moonwolf_gw

Denise, so sorry to hear about your imperialis! I hope your cuttings do well for you! Thanks for the kind words!

Mike, nope I haven't seen little holes in the leaves, but I'll do the tissue test on it. Thanks for the tip!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 6:48PM
More Discussions
Care instructions for ...
Can someone give me water/light/heat instructions for...
Diana_Gale
I'm living in a jungle!
I'm over-run! Don't get me wrong, I love the jungle...
denise_gw
My frozen hoya
Last week our temps dropped down below 30 degrees and...
ima_digger
Hoya Cummingiana 'Little Leaf Bush Hoya'
First of my houseplant hoyas to bloom. It is in the...
bouldergrower
Sponsored Products
Bestar Prestige + Cognac Cherry 71 x 23 Rectangular Workstation Desk
$712.96 | LuxeDecor
FIM 9.5' Square Cantilever Umbrella
LuxeDecor
Bestar Pro-Concept Milk Chocolate Bamboo & Black Pedestal File Cabinet
$478.04 | LuxeDecor
Bensen Woodward Square Coffee Table
$935.00 | Viesso
Ravella Zigzag Sunshine Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$297.50 | Bellacor
New Hand Knotted Authentic Blue/Ivory Kazak 5'x7' Wool Rug Mesa Collection H3415
BH Sun Inc
Bestar Prestige + Chocolate Lateral File Cabinet
$508.50 | LuxeDecor
Casa Pendant by Philips Forecast Lighting
$158.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™