Banana leaves turning yellow

babalu_aye(zone 9b - St Pete FL)August 18, 2010

I've got a Dwarf Cavendish banana that over the past week or so has all of its leaves turning yellow. As you can see in the photo below, even the new leaf that's unfurling is yellow and brown. Does anybody have an idea what could be the problem? Up to this point it has been green and healthy. The pup growing next to it looks fine. I've been feeding it Black Hen, keeping it mulched and watered.

Thanks,

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirtygardener73(9a)

Has it ever fruited? If so, it's normal for it to die. If not, you may have been overwatering and it may have root rot. I water mine only if it doesn't rain for 3 days. I usually have dying leaves in the summer during heavy rains, though.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 8:02PM
babalu_aye(zone 9b - St Pete FL)

It has never fruited. This was a pup that came up from the ground after last January's freeze.

It is in a spot near where water runs off of the garage roof, so when it rains it gets a lot of water. But I thought that bananas love lots of water.

John

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 8:28PM
dirtygardener73(9a)

They love water, but nothing likes wet feet all the time. They are prone to root rot. Maybe you should move it.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 9:28PM
dirtygardener73(9a)

"Banana plants are not flood tolerant. In general, plants may survive 24 to 48 hours of flooding caused by moving water. Stagnant water kills plants quickly. Bananas should not be planted in flood-prone areas. In areas where the water table is high and/or frequent soil saturation or very brief flooding occurs, planting on beds is recommended. Symptoms of continuously wet but not flooded soil conditions include plant stunting, leaf yellowing, and reduced yields. "

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Florida: Banana Growing in the Florida Home Landscape

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 9:31PM
babalu_aye(zone 9b - St Pete FL)

I think you nailed it.
Thanks,
John

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 10:26PM
yurpopsy_btinternet_com

Hi. I grow banana plants outdoors in South UK.
They died back over winter but are now coming well but yellow. We did not have rain in April so I watered but the leaves were green but are now yellow. I gess I over watered. Have now stopped so will see what happens.
I did get two to fruit last year but they are not large enough to eat.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
A good firespike replacement?
Two and a half years ago I got some 'blue' (magenta)...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
African Irises just bloomed; they're pretty
The plants bloomed nine mos after being stuck in the...
stewbrew FL_10b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™