turmeric question

natives_and_veggies(10b)August 31, 2014

Anyone grown turmeric before? I bought some corms a year or so ago, planted them in an out of the way place and promptly forgot about them.
I found them today. Healthy plants. Yay! So I decided to dig one to see what I had. Hmmm. The bulb - and that's all I got - was smaller than the corm I planted. Granted, I dug the smaller of the two plants, and the one that had been damaged by other work I was doing in the yard. So I probably didn't lose anything by digging this too early.

But I'm wondering, how long does it take to get a clump of turmeric that can maintain itself, even as you slice off pieces for cooking. We use a lot of turmeric and I'd love to be growing it for cooking. But so far this experiment seems to have failed. I would have probably been better off using the corms I bought rather than planting them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jstropic

Natives,

I grow mine in pots and they fill the pots by the end of the season. I was thinking of trying a large tub this time but didn't get around to it. -J

Bookmark   August 31, 2014 at 9:21PM
katkin_gw

How do you use it then in cooking? Do you slice it or chop it like garlic? I have only used the dried powder I bought.

Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 7:04AM
whgille(FL 9b)

Hi Susannah

Turmeric is very easy to grow, just from one corm that I planted I get a lot of them to use it or share. The flower is very pretty usually around this time. But the real bargain is the Indian store in my area where I get almost a lifetime supply for less than a little jar at any of the local stores.
I have a small patch growing now close to the fence, they prefer some shade.

The flower

Silvia

Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 8:33AM
natives_and_veggies(10b)

wow Silvia. The flower is pretty. I haven't seen mine flower yet, but it's in an out of the way area of the yard, so it could have and I missed it. The larger of the two plants is still in the ground and undamaged.
Do they need a lot of water? That may be the issue. This is near the house, so it gets shade from the eaves, but that also probably cuts down on the rain it gets.

Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 9:20AM
keiki(10 FL)

Yes they are easy to grow as Sylvia stated but curcumas do require consistent watering in zone 10.

Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 10:31AM
dclegg_gw

I would like to plant some. Where do you find it? Thank

Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 2:19PM
dclegg_gw

I would like to plant some. Where do you find it? Thank

Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 2:24PM
whgille(FL 9b)

Susannah, I do the same care as a ginger, mine get the water from the sprinkles in summer twice a week or when it rains.

Dclegg, look for turmeric root in the grocery store around the same area like gingers.

Silvia

Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 2:34PM
katkin_gw

No one has answered my question, how do you use it? Like you would garlic?

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 7:06AM
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

Thinking using fresh turmeric would be more like using fresh ginger�

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 10:59AM
natives_and_veggies(10b)

Yep, the recipes I've read compare it ginger and suggest grating it.

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 11:10AM
rednofl(9b Goldenrod Fl hz 10)

I plant it under my banana trees so it gets lots of water and some shade it took a few years but its really took off ...

Bookmark   September 3, 2014 at 5:24AM
gardencraze(9b Groveland FL.)

I find that Turmeric is easy to grow,it does like some shade and water twice a week at least like Silvia said. I plant both in pot and in ground. Also add some fertilizer.
Katkin, I do not use it to cook with but I use it to make tea for pain and inflammation.
I find that about an inch of Turmeric mashed in a cup of hot water let steep for 10 min. gives me relief from arthritis pain.
If you do a Google search on "How to cook with Turmeric" I'm sure you'l find a treasure trove of information.
Carmen

Bookmark   September 3, 2014 at 7:10AM
katkin_gw

Thanks Carmen. I do use ground cumin for cooking, I just wasn't sure how to prepare fresh cumin. I'll have to try it for arthritis. I've got plenty of that. Now I just have to find some fresh.

Bookmark   September 3, 2014 at 7:25AM
gardencraze(9b Groveland FL.)

Katkin!!!! good morning! Did you have your coffee yet LOL

We are talking 'turmeric' not 'Cumin' LOL OK one more cup should do it.
Blessings,
carmen

Bookmark   September 3, 2014 at 8:33AM
katkin_gw

LOL, yes I had my tea, but still goofed up. I knew in my head turmeric, but somehow typed cumin. I have both and use both in my cooking. In fact we put turmeric in our scrambled eggs this morning.

Bookmark   September 3, 2014 at 9:42AM
smallfern(9b)

Hi Katkin,
I grow tumeric & use it very often. Be careful when handling cut tumeric rhizomes, it stains your hands, apron, whatever porous. In Asia, tumeric is used to enhance the basic mix of shallots & garlic but not used on its own. It also goes well with lemongrass & onions. These combos are always chopped or mashed into paste & used as marinades or fried till fragrant then meat & veggies added to the pan.
Try Tumeric Fried Chicken, it's very basic. (I hope link works.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tumeric Fried Chicken

Bookmark   September 6, 2014 at 11:16PM
katkin_gw

Thanks LittleFern, I have plenty of lemongrass growing. The link worked and the chicken looks very good, I'll have to try it.

Bookmark   September 7, 2014 at 7:08AM
More Discussions
Staghorn cutting
A friend gave me a piece of her staghorn. How do I...
drich30099
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
New bird food!
Ellen, the 90 year old, cut off the end of a piece...
thonotorose
African Irises just bloomed; they're pretty
The plants bloomed nine mos after being stuck in the...
stewbrew FL_10b
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™