Crushed shell driveway....

echobellyAugust 24, 2011

I bought a house a couple of years ago with a long crushed shell driveway leading to a guest house on the back of the property. The driveway isn't used often, and is full of grass and weeds (I have to mow it). Is there any way to keep it clear, other than dowsing it with Round-up? I cleared a small section and raked it out smooth, and boy did the weeds love it, it's greener than much of my yard! I think disturbing it just planted all the seeds waiting to sprout.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengimp(9B Seminole Cnty FL)

Horticultural vinegar? Or, rake it all out, lay out weed block, rake it all back in. won't keep out new seeds though.

Sounds really cool though.

~dianne

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 10:10PM
billbrandi(9)

Echo - if I was a smart-alack I'd say invite me over to plant tomatoes in your driveway - that way we'd guarantee nothing will grow there - I can't get them to grow anywhere.

If you are really against RoundUp a mixture of vinegar and salt will kill the weeds. Just be careful, if it leaches into your yard it will kill everything there also. I tried it once and then went back to RoundUp.

http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/vinegar-weed-killer.html

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 10:13PM
katkin_gw

After you get all the weeds out there is a sand with an additive they use with the pavers that dries hard like concrete. You might spread that over the shells and water it in. You'd have to ask around at the box stores about it's name.

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 6:22AM
More Discussions
Planting Spices
Hey folks, I was doing a bit of google searching, which...
silver4490
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
Mexican Flame Vine
It is conceivable that I've asked this question here...
wisconsitom
African Irises just bloomed; they're pretty
The plants bloomed nine mos after being stuck in the...
stewbrew FL_10b
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™