Soggy Pickles

melfield_wy(5b Wyoming)August 13, 2011

The pickles I canned up last week are soggy. Yuck! What do you all think about using Alum to help keep them crispier??

Mel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

The first thing is to figure out why the pickles are "soggy." The most common reason is that the cucumbers aren't fresh enough. Crisping agents have limited effectiveness if there are other issues.

Alum works only with fermented pickles. For quick process pickles Pickle Crisp (aka calcium chloride) is what to use.

Carol

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 1:58PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

In addition to not using fresh-picked cucumbers as Carol mentioned, using the wrong kind of cucumbers is the next most common cause. Trying to make pickles out of slicing cucumbers will guarantee soft, mushy, "soggy" pickles. Use pickling cukes only.

Check out the many discussion here about problems with pickles for more details.

Dave

PS: Agree that alum will be of no help. Pickling lime is what used to be used for crisping, not alum. Pickling lime has been replaced by Pickle Crisp since it is much safer to use and much easier too.

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 3:06PM
melfield_wy(5b Wyoming)

Yes, I used pickling cucumbers, but purchased them from the farmer's market, so they had probably been sitting around for a few days before I got them.

My cucumbers from the garden have been nuts lately, so I'll try again with those and try with Pickle Crisp.

Thank you Dave and Carol.

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 4:29PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Just for clarification, alum and pickling lime are different but both are crisping agents.

Both are still approved for use in certain recipes (the NCHFP offers several) but as Dave mentioned, Pickle Crisp works well without the challenges of alum or lime.

Carol

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 11:52PM
More Discussions
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
serrano peppers everywhere
I have so many serrano peppers this year it's amazing....
prairie_love
Who said this isn't canning season?
We went to Aldi's store because they had a huge sale...
dellr
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™