New to hoya care: next step with this plant?

RUPERTinCO(3)February 10, 2014

I was given this plant just over a month ago, when some friends moved out of state. I've wanted a hoya plant for some time, ever since I saw one growing in a friend's house that had tendrills many, many feet long and decorated the room similar to Christmas lights. I'm not sure what to do for this one. It seems to need a repotting, and I have no idea what is going on with this double-pot system. Maybe to keep the soil in the clay pot from drying out too much without the possibility of overwatering? I don't want to kill it!! I gave it a month to adjust to my home, but since ariving a couple of it's thick waxy leaves have yellowed and fallen off. It actually started to get some tiny new leaves near the base, but they have since fallen off. ANY suggestions how to repot, and thereafter make this thing happy would be appreciated. Soil type? Pot type? How much water/sun?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RUPERTinCO(3)

Here is a close-up of those tiny, new leaves that didn't make it.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 4:01PM
vine_master(7)

Looks like Hoya carnosa.It prob was in a rope plant hanger,with the larger pot to fit the hanger.Soil looks compacted,so i would repot and rinse off the old dirt and depending if the roots filld up the old pot,plant in the bigger pot..If not, replant in the same pot with some good potting soil or cactus soil and perlite ...you want good drainage so do half soil and half perlite.If you keep it in the original pot,replace the dirt in the larger pot with gravel for extra humidity.keep it in bright light with filtered sun.Let it dry in-between waterings.Carnosas are pretty tough plants! Good luck!

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 6:12PM
RUPERTinCO(3)

Okay, thanks for the advice. I just need to find a good pot - the one it's in seems just a little too small. Hopefully I can post a couple of pictures soon of this plant happily putting on new growth...

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 2:50PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Pls know that Hoyas do best (we've found here) in smallish pots, not more than an inch or 2 larger than the root ball.

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 4:01PM
denise_gw(5)

Yes, do NOT oversize the pot! Just a bit bigger than the rootball. Then "feel" the soil every few days. When the soil feels dry, in other words, it crumbles as you poke your finger into it, it's time to water. Water until it comes out of the drainage holes, let it sit in the runoff for about 15 min., then get rid of the excess water and don't water it again until it's dry. Use a dilute fertilizer - about 1/4 to 1/2 of what is recommended - each watering now until late full. Your Hoya will take off and grow like crazy!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
Hoya Kerrii Turning Yellow
Hi everyone I am a newbie to gardening and have bought...
hsaloot
Care instructions for ...
Can someone give me water/light/heat instructions for...
Diana_Gale
sweethearth2015
Is this a hoya?
Don't know if it's a weed or a type of hoya. It's either...
Tanjil Wright
Can i hang my Fishtail Hoya under a 42in roof overhang?
I have a nice full fishtail hoya i got back in early...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Mademoiselle Chair Damask by Kartell
$1,000.00 | Lumens
San Marco Lighted Wall Fountain by Kenroy Home
Lamps Plus
Compamia ISP850-WH Miami Resin Club Chair - White - Set of 2 - ISP850-WH
$559.99 | Hayneedle
Florence Style Loft Armchair Leather Set of 2 in Tan
$939.00 | LexMod
Classic Design Sherpa Throw Blanket
Overstock.com