hosta in containers

swmogardens(6)February 5, 2011

Lets see some of your hostas in containers from last year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

Didn't take a pic last year,but here is Pizzazz from may of 2009. Phil

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 7:36PM
mctavish6

I always love anything with pictures. What is the hosta in the middle of the first picture? The streaky margins are very appealing. Phil, I can't wait for my new Pizzazz to look like yours.

Here are some of mine in pots. I've cut WAY back since the losses of 09. I try to only have duplicates in pots but don't always succeed. Some I just enjoy in pots and think they show off better. I've tried to take at least a small portion of these plants to have as a reserve in the ground. The first five are examples of those.

Cherry Berry is in a pot to try to control the slug damage which has been working pretty well. Elvis Lives is in a pot because he developes spots in the later summer and I don't know if it's contageous, due to watering or what. Last summer was the first one where he was isolated and the spots were about 80% less so maybe it's watering.

The last one, Albo Marg. U is just because I have several of these and love the look of it no matter how common it is. It got much too root bound last year and I never did get it transplanted or divided. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it survives and I will be able to deal with it this summer.

Bookmark   February 6, 2011 at 3:36PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

A few in pots on my deck - some 2010 seedlings and rest new acquisitions in 2010. Deck gets a bit more sun and additional watering than most of my gardens.

Same as 1st from a different angle.

Paul

Bookmark   February 6, 2011 at 6:58PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

I guess this chimney flue counts as a container. I moved this guy last year because it was getting overwhelmed by larger hostas. This is Ginsu Knife. Phil

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 10:16AM
thisismelissa

Phil... is there a bottom on those flues or do you just set them right onto soil?

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 11:20AM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

No,Melissa,they are right on the ground. This particular one is buried about a third of its height,with rocks at the bottom,and a re-bar in there to prevent its tipping over. A mixture of potting soil and compost is the soil,with mulch on top. I'm looking forward to this year,as Ginsu Knife is a cascading type hosta. The one behind it is Red October,and I still have one more chimney flue,I am planning to use this year. I may cut that one into 2 pieces. Phil

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 12:42PM
More Discussions
Is this normal for Guacamole?
This is a closeup photo of my Guacamole last year....
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
Hd are you kidding?
I just got an email from Home Depot pushing hosta plants...
Jon 6a SE MA
Advice for a Newbie Hosta Gardener
This past fall I planted four Blue Angel hostas on...
samnsarah
First time to be able to grow Hostas, need beginners help
We moved to a new home recently and I have two large...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Hi, guys!
I’ve been reading the hosta forum for a couple of...
jajoana
Sponsored Products
Panier Basket Storage by Kartell
$380.00 | Lumens
Outline Collection Round Soap or Lotion Dispenser - Polished Chrome
Signature Hardware
Ivory, Blue Haze and Antique White Leaf Pattern 22 x 22 Pillow
$31.80 | Bellacor
Eliot Bench - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Angels Eyes Beef Liver Flavor Dog Eye Care - 006AE01-30
$22.99 | Hayneedle