Question for all you experts

organic_kitten(8)September 30, 2012

Okay, I potted my new daylilies as they came in and set the pots in a shady area until the growth was established and have all these pots of healthy appearing daylilies.

When do you plant them. I am not a regular pot growing person. Do you plant now, in the fall, or in the spring?

I live in zone 8, and the first frost date is still a few weeks off.

Thanks for your help.

kay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Hostarina(7B)

If you dig large holes & keep the potting soil as intact as you can when unpotting the daylilies to put into the holes, they will transplant into the ground without even noticing the change.
I repot some daylilies into larger pots each Fall & have had no losses over the Winters here in Zone 7. Always careful to keep the root balls intact, so they don't have to struggle to get new roots established during the cold weather.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 3:04PM
organic_kitten(8)

Thanks, Hostarina,

That's what I hoped to hear.

I would prefer to plant the new ones in the fall rather than waiting for spring, but lost a couple last year which explains my first ever planting in pots first and allowing the roots to develop. I could put them in the greenhouse, but I can't see a lot of advantage in that.
kay

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 3:33PM
xokientx(z7aOK)

Sounds good to me too.
Ed

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 3:59PM
najoba(8b)

Well, I'm not an expert but I live in zone 8. I've had better results by planting new daylilies in October. If planted in the spring, they don't do much the first year.

Nancy

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 10:58PM
alameda/zone 8

I also live in zone 8 - our first frost dates are usually mid/late November. I use both methods - I pot when I dont have beds ready for the daylilies. This year, I have raised beds filled with great soil - I buy it mixed, its a combo of mushroom compost, bark fines and sand. The lilies love it, take off and are growing just great. I have learned from experience not to plant them too deep - I have lost them when I planted too deep. I also grow roses and have found that most plants really grow better when planted in the ground. I seem to buy plants faster than I can build beds, so by necessity, I have a good sized pot ghetto. But I steadily work on building beds as I really think they grow better planted in the ground. If you have the readymade beds with good soil - I would suggest planting them there - just be careful not to plant too deeply.

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 1:23AM
ruthz

alameda, do you mind telling me the name and where you buy your mixed soil/compost?
I live in the DFW area and should be able to find the same kind.
I have a few daylilies ordered and haven't decided where to plant them yet.

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 11:59AM
organic_kitten(8)

Thank you all for your advice. I will have to let it dry a bit from the heavy rain we got, but I will be planting in a couple of days. That isn't to say that I will be planting all of them immediately, but hopefully all of them very soon.
kay

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 6:41PM
grass_lover(z5a IA)

In zone 5 I've always tried to plant 6 weeks ahead of a hard freeze. The last dls I planted will be 6 weeks on Oct. 23 and so far have went through 2 frosts and probably another one coming over the weekend.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
New Grandson is now One Week old
Last Thursday afternoon, a little after 3 pm , Hunter...
daylilydayzed
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
I copied this post from Jasminerose4u in the rose forum....
KarenPA_6b
Let's se those perfect "P" and "Q" daylilies!
It is time for the P and Q daylily pictures! I am cuious...
sherrygirl zone5
Trying multiple pics
This is an experiment to see if I can insert muliple...
sherrygirl zone5
"Debugging" New Dayliles
Last year I ordered some dayliles online I think may...
antlil
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™