Splenda OK in Annie's salsa?

plays_in_dirt_dirt(Z7A VA bordering NC state line)August 7, 2011

Is it safe to substitute Splenda for sugar in Annie's salsa ? If safe, would it adversely affect the taste or texture?

Thanks,

Barbara in Virginia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

No real safety issue that I know of despite the fact that sugar has a free water binding element to it that Splenda lacks. Texture? No. But it may well affect the taste just as Splenda doesn't taste like sugar no matter what it is used in.

Personally I wouldn't sub it unless absolutely necessary and then, if possible, maybe sub only 1/2 of the sugar.

Dave

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 2:16PM
plays_in_dirt_dirt(Z7A VA bordering NC state line)

Thanks, Dave. I think I'll just use less sugar and do a taste test, using the full amount if necessary. The recipe says the sugar may be reduced or omitted.

Barbara in Virginia

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 3:57PM
2ajsmama

I don't use the sugar at all. But I use lime juice instead of vinegar. I don't like the taste of vinegar in salsa.

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 4:40PM
plays_in_dirt_dirt(Z7A VA bordering NC state line)

Thanks, ajsmama ... I have bottled lime juice and bottled lemon juice in the pantry. The lime sounds good to me right now. I'm excited to make the salsa. I have tried canned homemade several times but didn't like my recipes nor those of friends. I have read so many rave reviews about Annie's recipe. I expect it to be delicious, thick and chunky the way we like it.

Barbara in Virginia

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 5:30PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

If you make the salsa without sugar and then find you wish it had some additional sweetness, you could stir in a bit of Splenda or other sweetener when you open the jar. That way you have total control without any concerns regarding the alterations in flavor that can occur during canning.

Carol

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 4:29AM
cabrita(9b SoCal)

I omit the sugar and black pepper from Annie's salsa with very good results.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 11:39AM
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

Sugar is not a preserving agent in any food other than a full sugar jam. It takes about 65% sugar in order to preserve to bind up water.
I would not think Splenda to taste good in the salsa recipe. It was too sweet to me with the sugar.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 11:42AM
hot_in_ky

I only do about 1/16 of a cup of sugar and do a 1/2 cup each of lemon juice and cider vinegar. Turns out great, everyone loves it.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™