Proliferations

buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)September 18, 2012

I have dozens of them and would like to grow them. Last year I tried rooting them in water and it didn't work. I ended up with rot and aphids. Will they root in potting soil?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
virgo45(Toronto,Canada 6a)

Hi: I have started alot of Proliferations both in water and directly in moist soil and both methods work. I remove any old or dried leaves from the prolif to make sure the root area is exposed to the water or moist soil. If I do them in water I leave the water level just above the bottom of the prolif., where it attaches itself to the scape. Check them daily and change the water daily, as soon as a root starts to appear I place them in moist soil. I cut the scape about 2 inches above and 2 inches below the prolif. The scape anchors them in place when you put them in the soil. The scape will eventualy dry up/rot and can be removed at that time. If the prolif. has visible roots when you harvest it I would skip the water and place it directly in moist soil. Be very careful not to break the new roots while handling/planting the prolif. I have about a 95% success rate with this method. The odd prolif is not healthly enough to produce roots and will rot and die. These would not be healthy plants and you probably would not want them in your garden. I have never had aphids, but if they appear you could wash the prolif in dish soap and water to get rid of them. If the problem persist you might want to give them a spraying of house and garden raid, I am sure that would get rid of the aphids. I hope this is helpful.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 1:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nat4b(4)

I only tried water method. In most cases they grow roots, then I plant. Last year I had a lot of prolifs, all rooted in water and planted, and all lived.
Check out Jean's thread about prolifs, too!

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
Clean up and beautify Garden Web!
You can add an extension to your browser for Firefox...
Brad KY
finally got into this forum,and have to learn how to do it
I had to really hunt to find this forum again and couldn't...
jean zone 8 Ar.
Joan Derifield or Man of Sorrows
I would love to have both of these, but I'm thinking...
ruthz
Davisson Daylilies
I'll start by saying I've had no issues with growing...
Julia NY
Let's se those perfect "P" and "Q" daylilies!
It is time for the P and Q daylily pictures! I am cuious...
sherrygirl zone5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™