Commerical Tomato Juice for Raw Pack

tannabananaAugust 17, 2011

Hello, and thanks in advance:

Recently I came upon the idea of using commercial tomato juice instead of water to can whole tomatoes. Essentially, it would replace the water in the raw pack recipe for tomatoes packed in water (from the Ball Blue Book). I would still add citric acid to the jars but I would skip the optional added salt.

The idea seems legit to me, would cut down on my processing time because I would use it instead of my preferred taste method of tomatoes packed in own juice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

It won't reduce your processing time. It increases it to 85 mins. BWB and almost doubles the PC processing time too because of increased density.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Whole or Halved Tomatoes in Tomato Juice

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 1:56PM
kriswrite(zone 8)

You don't really need to buy juice if the tomatoes are ripe. Here's how I do it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Tomatoes: Why & How

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 5:23PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

The BWB processing time for canning whole or halved tomatoes (packed raw without added liquid) and just using the juice made by the tomatoes themselves is 85 min., not the 40-45 min. listed on the website.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning tomatoes with no added liquid

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 6:07PM
tannabanana

Thanks for the info. Pickyouown.org has instructions but isn't always clear and in the case of adding tomato juice for canning liquid, it wasn't, in my opinion. Anyway, I processed for 85 minutes with the commercial tomato juice so we should be good to go!

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 10:37PM
More Discussions
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™