My really cool Lowe's find..

JenniferinFL(9B Florida)August 13, 2012

Stopped in at Lowes yesterday to check out their plants and see if they had anything new. They have those $15 passion vines on a trellis, labeled Lady Margaret. Anyhow, noticed that one of them was setting on the ground instead of on the shelf with the others. It was just covered in Gulf Fritillary caterpillars! I've been trying to attract butterflies, but so far no takers on the passionvines I've planted. One of the employees saw me looking at it and apologized that the plants were infested and offered to discount it for me.

So, I got a decent sized passionvine covered in the caterpillars I was trying to attract anyways and it was only $5 plus tax.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thonotorose

Very cool!

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 11:38PM
RetiredFlorida(9)

Cool! I was in home depot about a month ago and bought a bottle brush with butterflies sitting on it. They left by the time I got to the car but were very tolerate of my carting... Good luck!

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 12:38AM
kayjones(Mo6b)

That is so neat! FYI - here in Florida, Passiflora LM will run on you, so plant it where you don't mind if it takes over the area or where you can mow over those you don't want. Better yet - dig the extras and give them to others!!!

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 5:37AM
JenniferinFL(9B Florida)

Thornotorose, my husband didn't see it that way.. lol.. He kept asking me to explain why it was good that it was infested. Oh well, I was very excited about it.

RetiredFlorida, that is neat, I've never had a butterfly linger that long, they usually take off before I can get a photo. They must have really liked that bottlebrush!

Kayjones, I may have made a mistake in planting this one then, I planted it by my sunroom thinking it might hide part of it from the neighbor. Oh well, I'm pretty sure the caterpillars are going to eat all of this one, but I've taken a couple cuttings so I still have one if this gets eaten to nothing. I'll have to rethink where I plant them. :)

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 7:05AM
coffeemom(Broward z10)

Score! I love LM but have killed 3 of them. I saw them at Lowes the other day. The temptation is strong. The flowers are so pretty. Enjoy!

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 7:41AM
L_in_FL(8B/9A Border, NW FL)

Last year the butterflies never seemed to find my passion flower vines. This year, they are covered in caterpillars and are almost completely skeletonized. The butterflies are certainly pretty, though.

I have the whole life cycle going on my vines right now, from eggs to caterpillars of all sizes, to occupied chrysalises, to empty chrysalises, to mating adults. Neat stuff, but I hope the vines recover.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 12:37AM
alys_esmond(9b Orlando)

Hehe,
I guess "infested" is relative?

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 10:48AM
L_in_FL(8B/9A Border, NW FL)

Heh, I don't really mind. The butterflies are pretty:

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 12:34PM
Hal______(9a)

I bought a Passion Vine (at Lowes) a few months ago and it's blossoming like crazy, the bees love it and the Frits are all over it like yours....I don't (didn't) fertilize, so I wonder if any fertilizer might seem distasteful to the little caddy-pillers.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 4:35PM
More Discussions
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
African Irises just bloomed; they're pretty
The plants bloomed nine mos after being stuck in the...
stewbrew FL_10b
So, What Do YOU Do About Coons And Possums?
I just sent three of them to that big veggie garden...
brute
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™