Canning tomatoes

ChicknLittle(6)August 7, 2012

In the past week I have canned several quarts of Tomatoes and juice using the salt and lemon juice as directed. I went by memory (should have known better) on the time and underprocessed them in a hot pack boiling water bath. They all sealed. I was wondering if I can leave the lids as is and reprocess for the correct time in a pressure canner?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Re-processing requires re-heating the contents, refilling clean jars and using new lids. Per the guidelines, it also is supposed to be done within 24 hours to avoid bacterial contamination. So it is too late now based on your info. Yours have set, under-processed, for several days with air still trapped in the jars.

It's your choice to abide by the guidelines or not. I'd freeze them and cook well before consuming.

Dave

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 2:17PM
ChicknLittle(6)

Thank you Dave, that is what I was afraid of, but what I needed to hear. You can bet it wont happen again (this year :)

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 2:30PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

My memory for details is pretty reliable, but life gets in the way and when I'm busy, often multi-tasking, I don't trust myself for much of anything these days...

For canning, I keep note cards right in my canner...basic method/timing, how many pounds of tomatoes, tuna, whatever I processed the previous year for how much yield. Only problem with that is the canners are stored in the basement, and if at times other than canning and someone may ask me a question, the notes are not quite so convenient. As when my brother in law called and said, we've been out of tuna for two months, how much did 'we' can last year...:)

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 3:30PM
ChicknLittle(6)

Note cards in the canner is a great idea, think I will try that! It will work great for my sketchy memory, the only other person that I know cans has been doing it longer and better than me for years and wouldn't ask me any important questions. Thank you for the great tip!

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
I had about 20 - 1 gallon bags filled with tomatoes...
SuzyQ2
Cherry jam not setting
I made sweet cherry jam yesterday, without added pectin...
creativesolver
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
Freezing Orange Juice
Has anyone successfully frozen orange juice? When I...
sautesmom
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Sponsored Products
Besa Milo 4 Pendant 3JW Light with Purple Glass - 3JW-MILO4PL-BR
$387.00 | Hayneedle
Besa Milo 4 Pendant 3JV Light with White Frost Glass - 3JV-MILO4WF-BR
$526.50 | Hayneedle
Besa Milo 4 Pendant 3JW Light with White Frost Glass - 3JW-MILO4WF-BR
$387.00 | Hayneedle
Granite Ware 3-Piece 19 qt. Lobster Pot - F6316DS-1
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Besa Milo 4 Pendant 3JC Light with White Frost Glass - 3JC-MILO4WF-BR
$382.50 | Hayneedle