What butane stove do you use?

marti8aAugust 19, 2014

I've been reading of the problems others have had with glass top stoves, and I'd like to try a butane stove outside and see if I have better results. I really hate the thought of canning when it's 100 degrees outside though.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Do you really want butane? Very expensive and the butane stoves can be difficult to refill and keep operating.

One of the many propane burners discussed in the many threads here would sere you far better IME.

#1 and #2 in the link below are the ones I use.

Dave

PS: and they don't have to be used outside. Just the tank has to be outside, not the stove.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propane burners

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 7:16PM
marti8a

Oh I thought people on other threads recommended butane. I'm fine with propane. You use a table top stove inside? I have a propane camp stove, table top type, but when the wind blows, it blows out the flame. Dh has talked (for years) about getting a plate welded to the back to keep the wind from blowing through, but I don't know if that would fix the problem.

We also have a burner on our propane grill, but it's not level when a heavy pot is on there, so it wouldn't work without some kind of support. I'm sure that will happen as quickly as the other one.

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 19:22

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 7:20PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Yeah you can use one inside as long as you have a safe table or countertop to set it on. They sell all sorts of fire-resistant ceramic and/or slate pads for using.

Dave

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™