thick applesauce

KSprairieAugust 23, 2014

I BWB canned 7 qts of applesauce per NCHFP's recipe on Thursday and froze 6 qts.
It seemed like there was SO much liquid in the sauce when I was filling jars. Now that I look at the jars, the applesauce is much thicker, not runny at all when jars are tipped. There looks like some little air pockets as well.
I think I remember reading a thread here on adding lemon juice to your applesauce, but the NCHFP recipe does not call for it, so I did not add any.
Should I be concerned about the thickened sauce, air pockets, and no lemon juice??
Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

The lemon juice is a relatively new recommendation. Ball Complete Book includes it NCHFP does not. Your choice for now but it also helps preserve the color so is a good thing to do.

Too thick applesauce is a common problem for many. It always needs to be thinner, more soupy, going into the jars than we think it should be. We have to force ourselves to make it thinner - put a big sign on the fridge - "Soupy Sauce -It will get thicker!!!" :)

If processed for the full time it will be safe to eat because of the natural acidity but have a shorter shelf life before darkening from the air. Mark the jars and use them up first. Of if less than 24 hours you can reprocess it and thin it out at the same time. Some use water, I use apple juice to thin mine down.

Dave

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 2:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KSprairie

Sounds good. Thank you for clarifying. I am sure my family will eat it right up anyway. So much for saving it for winter! We will continue to process more apples this fall, so I will be sure to make my next batches THINNER and add the lemon juice.
I hope you are not tired out from all of the questions I have, Dave. I seem to have a lot recently. Thanks so much. :)

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
Carnitas pressure canning question
Hello! I've been reading up on DigDirt's carnitas (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg051438097651.html)...
PirateJeni
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
tomato sauce problem
This may be a a little long so please bear with me....
jessam
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™