Preserving apples for the first time!

Christina818(7- PNW)August 22, 2014

Hello everyone! My name is Christina and I have been on here before but some of you may not know me. I mostly lurk on here but I have come to know there are a lot of people on here that I consider awesome and informed food preservers. Today my mom called me and told me she was in Yakima and wanted to know if I wanted apples. I ordered 2 - 30# boxes. Being the frugal person I am I couldn't pass them up at $10 a box. I consider myself a pretty seasoned preserver but one thing I have never tackled is apples. That been said the variety of apples I am getting are Galas. Please tell me what you would do with all these apples? I was thinking canning and freezing. How do you prefer to preserve your apples? Any tried and true recipes? Thank you all so much for all your help.
~ Christina ~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Applesauce is probably the most common method and Galas make great applesauce. Canned apple pie filling would be next in popularity I think but you can also just can them plain if you don't have the Clear Jel to make pie filling with and then turn them into most anything later on. Many uses in baking.

Apple Butter is also quite popular and relatively easy to do. And of course there is apple juice and Spiced Apple Rings, frozen apple pies to bake later and turnovers.

Then if you want to get beyond the basics (see all the instructions for them at NCHFP) there is apple chutneys, fermented sauerkraut with apples, apple wine, dehydrated apple slices and fruit leathers, and pickled apples.

Dave

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 5:58PM
Christina818(7- PNW)

Thank you Dave. I was thinking about the apple pie filling. I don't have the clear jel but thought about freezing the filling. Have you made pie filling with apples and froze it before? If so how did the apple hold up? Do they do better canned or frozen? Thanks again!
~ Tina ~

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 8:48PM
luvncannin

Last year I made the apple pie jam and it was such a huge hit this year I will probably make 6 or more batches of it.
I cant remember where I found the recipe.
I will look for it.
kim
Also I canned a lot of apples last year and used all of mine in one year 140 pounds! Silly I thought I had enough to last several years.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 12:44PM
bcskye

Hi, Christina! I agree to everything already mentioned in the above posts, but my very favorite is the apple pie jam. Just Google Apple Pie Jam Gardenweb and it should pull up the recipe right away. That's how I do all of my Gardenweb searches. Back to the apple pie jam, its out of this world goodness. My husband loved it so much he said it would be great to use in pocket pies. Wish I could find a good buy on apples like you did.

Madonna

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 1:54PM
Christina818(7- PNW)

Thank you Kim and Madonna. Apple pie jam sounds very good! I look it up.

~ Christina ~

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
Dehydrate Bok Choy
Does anyone have an experience dehydrating Bok Choy....
compostman
Future Leather Help
I made leather out of some super good tasting berry...
CA Kate
Sponsored Products
Stainless Steel Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Apple Teacher Personalized Print
$17.99 | zulily
Danona 3 Luces Linear Suspension by Bover
$914.00 | Lumens
Florence Style Loft L-Shaped Leather Sectional Sofa in Tan
$1,649.00 | LexMod
Black Eiffel Arm Chair in Red
$154.99 | Dot & Bo