Anyone know what tree this is??

jane__ny(9-10)August 18, 2013

Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
My guess would be Cattley guava since it appears to have red fruit the strawberry type . The yellow is usually called lemon guava. Psium cattleianum . The common guava usually has green fruit but many hybrids
gary

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 5:10AM
kayjones(Mo6b)

It is a Camellia. Mine is doing the same thing. When the fruit opens and the seeds drop, it leaves a beautiful star-shaped husk.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 8:48AM
jane__ny(9-10)

Hummm. Well all I know is the squirrels love running off with the fruit. I was afraid to taste it. The bark of the tree is pretty. It peels in long sheets.

Is the fruit edible?

Jane

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 2:06PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Seeing the bark reinforces some type of guava??. You could google guava for an ID. The fruit is edible but small and full of seeds careful of bugs though lol. Limbs are rather attractive .. , tree stays small and easy to control but does seed but not too bad i use mine to grow orchids but the peeling rather limits that ,lol Is there anything squirrels don't like?? gary

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 4:01AM
eric_9b(z9b Orlando)

Psidium cattleyanum, Cattley or Strawberry Guava

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 10:35AM
jane__ny(9-10)

Thanks, all! Yes, I think it is Guava. I cut one of the mushy fruits and there were worms, yuck!

Funny, Gary. I was eye-balling these trees as possible orchid candidates. They give nice shade to a very sunny spot. They were growing like bushes and I chopped the heck out of them, opening them up and getting more air and light to them.

The bark is really peeling but otherwise they seem healthy.

Jane

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 10:47AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

hi
bad choice for epiphytes due to the peeling bark. I'm guessing that the purpose of the peeling is to shed epis??
Works fair for Vandas due to upright growth BUT require
constant readjustment . same is true for palms unless mature. Worst are deciduous b ut could use ones that like
high light unless summer deciduous lol
Best all around was citrus
All the trees I have now were chosen for epiphytes but obviously takes years to get them ready
i'm using a plumeria for an epicatt BUT it is being dwarfed and under the larger cassia of course if frost it will completely defoliate . It ain't easy being "natural " lol
With your experience with orchids you should have a good chance of selecting the right place the first time lol Good luck gary

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 2:58AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

jane
there is an article on "tree growing " in the AOS jounal for both Florida and California You can access most of the details on the site gary

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 3:37AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

AOS = American Orchid Society

First article linked below.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Orchids on a Tree

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 10:22AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Second article linked below.

Good information regarding orchid tree-growing in both articles. Thanks for the heads-up, Gary!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Orchids Outdoors in Southern California

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 10:23AM
jane__ny(9-10)

Thanks Gary. I wasn't looking to attach any orchids. My property is very sunny with little shade. I am always on the search for tree limbs to hang my baskets from.

I don't like attaching orchids because the winters are tricky. I like to bring plants in if the weather turns cold or frost is possible.

I have a large oak which would serve the purpose except I had it pruned last year and the lowest limb is about 20ft high.

All my orchids are hanging under the one tree which provides shade, a loquat tree. That tree shades too much. I'm constantly moving the plants around to catch more sun.

I'm thinking these Guava trees might fit the bill once they fill out a bit. They were overgrown with vines and bushes (as a matter of fact, I didn't even know 3 of them were there), we spent 2 weekends chopping all the vines and bushes away and, low and behold, there were the trees.

So, I'm thinking my higher light orchids may have found a new spot to hang out.

Jane

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
Growing milkweed (A. tuberosa) from seed in Central Fl.
Hi! I'm new here, and I'd like to see if anyone has...
martianpictures
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™