Hoya megalantha

vermonthoyasMarch 11, 2013

Here is a first-time-bloomer for me - Hoya megalantha. It seems to be a strong performer that will easily bloom under artificial light. It took nine months from cutting to flower, which I think is outstanding.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Klea(4b)

Oh, how beautiful!! Congratulations! I'm happy to hear it's a fast bloomer, maybe I'll get some flowers myself this year. ;) Nine months from cutting to bloom is fast. Do you have a photo of the whole plant? It would be interesting to see how big it is when flowering for the first time. In my experience megalantha is a fast grower too.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 3:49PM
vermonthoyas

Thank you Klea! Here is a photo of the entire plant grown in semi-hydro.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 4:04PM
Klea(4b)

Wow, it really grew A LOT in just 9 months! I think mine is about 9 months too, but not even close to being that size. Mine haven't got any artificial lighting this winter tho, maybe if it did it would look more like yours. But maybe it's got nothing to do with lighting, maybe it's all to do with your obvious hoya talent!! :) Lovely plant and flowers! You've really done well with this plant. Once again; congratulations!

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 8:02PM
debbie_ny

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! I have to ask --- What lights do you use in your grown tent?

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 1:54PM
vermonthoyas

Thank you Debbie! I am using two single 54watt T-5 fixtures in the tent. These happen to be the Sunblaster brand, but there are many others that would do the same thing. I find that with these small grow-tents anything more than two tubes causes it to get too hot unless you are using the tent in a cool basement. This tent helped me keep the humidity at 65% during the day and 85% at night. I think the humidity is as much a part of getting this plant to flower as the lighting. Here is one more shot of the bloom.

Doug

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 3:06PM
debbie_ny

wow wow wow! there's nothing more to say...I'm in awe! thanks for the info on the bulbs...! =)

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 1:00PM
greedygh0st

Gorgeous photos! It sure is showy seeing all those fat heavy flowers opening in a big cluster. I really love the photo where you can see the not-yet-open buds in the mix, for comparison.

When I see progress like your plant has made, it really inspires me to amp up the lights! I've been wanting to order more for a while and I should just stop stalling. It just turned into such a rodeo last time with screwed up shipments and waiting for the delivery guy and broken bulbs...

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Hoya Krimson Queen with her crown
This is a 15 year old plant , she has never bloomed,...
smi2
A little O.T., but relevant...
I've always been a little frustrated by the quandary...
denise_gw
baby incrassata update cont'd.
And here are the babies...I know they're much too young...
shelley7950
Signs of life on a peduncle!
I need a bloom it's been a very long time. I'm having...
Liberated
Aurora, are the cuttings a no-go?
Hello, i was just inquiring about the hoya cuttings. I...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™