Hosta Dino.....

hostafreakMarch 30, 2013

Attention:Gesila,I know you're lurking out there! I just received my hosta Dino,yesterday from Naylor Creek,and it is potted up and in my garage for now. Sorry,no pics,as it was dormant when I got it. One big fat eye,and a monstrous root system! Since it comes from Washington state,I knew it would be dormant,though it won't be long before it leafs out in my climate. This looks like the hosta you could throw on the driveway,and it would grow! Pics will come later,as soon as I plant it. I have to prepare the spot,near T-Rex. I will have three monsters in a row,with Dino,T-Rex,and Empress Wu,so it will be quite impressive when they are all leafed out! I am planting it near T- Rex,because he grows so well there,I figured kinfolk would do well,also. Phil

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gesila(MI Z5)

How exciting Phil. Congratulations on your first mail order hosta!

I think Dino is one of the largest variegated Hostas, it should look great along with T-Rex and Empress Wu, adding some color!

Awaiting your spring pictures!

Gesila

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 9:46PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Is it too late to post a pic of the giant pile of roots you just received?

-Babka

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 11:50PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Hostafreak, plan on getting Jurassic Park?
Don has a list of Prehistoric Themed Hostas, link provided below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prehistoric theme hosta garden

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 12:14AM
hostafreak

Yes,Babka,it is too late. It is already planted. I figured the sooner in the ground,the sooner I can see what it will look like. Planting season is here. No,mocc,I don't plan on Jurassic Park,although it seems like a logical choice. Today,we had some nice sun for awhile,but now it is dreary again,and Dino hasn't done much yet,but I know how fast hosta pop at this time of year! Phil

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 5:52PM
hostatakeover z6a swMO

Hostafreak, how is your Dino doing this year? Got any pics to share?

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 10:57PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

Hosta Takeover,Dino looks terrible this year,having been one of the ones caught in the April freeze. Still one pathetic eye,and a couple leaves. No pics this year,and I just moved it to a new bed up beside my house. It is surviving there,so far,with no drop back,especially since it rains almost every day. I'n looking forward to 2015,when,hopefully it will rebound. Phil

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 9:40AM
bernd ny zone5

h.'Dino' should be stunning when mature. It is listed as VL or Giant, very large leaves. I bought a little one at a Hosta society sale, found a place next to my little pond, just planted it. It should be gorgeous in 5 years. Keep writing how all your 'Dinos' are doing.
Bernd

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 12:33PM
hostatakeover z6a swMO

I just bought a baby one this year, as well. Looks like an ugly duckling compared to the swan it'll become.

Looking forward to your '15 pics, Phil.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
info on spam
anyone know where to find the rules for spam are in...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
hostanista
is there a bacon forum .....?????
if there is.. i should have looked .. lol if there...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
NH hostas here
Doesn't look like much but in a month it will. Excited...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™