When CAN I change the jar size safely?

vedabeepsAugust 11, 2014

I understand not going from a half pint to a quart to can something safely because that is a huge jump in density but am wondering if it is safe to go from a half pint to a pint.

The recipe in question is this tomatillo salsa from the Ball site:

http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes/tomatillo-salsa

I plan on using it to make enchiladas so I will need a pint at a time and would rather not go through extra lids and tie up jars that could be used for other things.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

No, if the recipe calls for half-pints, that is what was tested. You can't increase the jar size, but you can always decrease it and process for the next bigger size. There is no way to know what the processing time would be if you scale up. It isn't just about the density, but how long it takes the heat to penetrate to the center of the jar. Obviously, it would take longer on a pint than a half-pint.

You're better off to find a recipe that uses the jar size you want. Escpecially with salsas as they are already borderline on acidity because of the low acid ingredients.

Deanna

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 3:27PM
malna

The same recipe is in the Ball Complete book - instructions say process pints for 15 minutes (same as 1/2 pints).

ETA: I just double checked because I did a boatload of pints last year and thought I might have had a serious "mental pause" there....Deanna's totally correct - normally you shouldn't. This happens to be a happy exception that they didn't post on their website :-)

This post was edited by malna on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 15:59

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 3:34PM
vedabeeps

Hmmm... confusing.

This post was edited by VedaBeeps on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 16:24

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 4:09PM
malna

Yeah, it kinda is. I think the recipe on the website was a sort of marketing thing. All that chopping and cooking and boiling and waiting to get two jars (even though they're bigger) doesn't sound quite as good as getting four.

Point is they tested it in pint jars - it's approved. And by the way, we LOVE this stuff. Try pureeing it after you open the jar (can it per the recipe - straight out of the jar is great with chips) and using it for a green enchilada sauce. Good stuff.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 4:43PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

When CAN I change the jar size safely?

This particular recipe aside and to answer your title question, future readers need to note the point Deanna made -

your cannot increase jar size in any situation. You can always safely reduce jar size but you can never increase jar size over what is called for in the recipe you are using.

If you must have it in a larger jar then find a recipe that has been tested with that larger jar size.

Dave

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
serrano peppers everywhere
I have so many serrano peppers this year it's amazing....
prairie_love
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™