Freezing Eggplant

skeipAugust 20, 2012

Yesterday I picked 9 beautiful Egplants, which is about 7 more than we will eat before they go bad. I thought of freezing them, NCHFP says to slice and blanch, but I thought since Eggplant is so watery that slicing and roasting might give a better result. Any thoughts? TYIA.

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michelelc

I can't comment on roasting eggplant, but I did blanch and freeze slices a couple of years ago, and it wasn't mushy at all. When I took it out of the freezer, I made eggplant parm with it and it came out great.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 4:15PM
jill2761(Southeast Texas)

I slice, bread, and cook my eggplant just as if I were making eggplant parmesan...then package and freeze with freezer paper separating the slices. When I'm ready to make eggplant parmesan, I just take out the number of slices I need for the dish. After layering with the sauce and cheeses, I bake as normal, but the work of breading and cooking the eggplant is already done.

Eggplant dressing and eggplant casseroles also freeze and reheat nicely.

Jill

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 7:02PM
shermthewerm(8 PNW)

Or you could make these & freeze them--my daughter said she prefers these over hamburgers (& she's normally a little carnivore).

Here is a link that might be useful: Eggplant burger

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 11:53PM
basket1weaver(5)

I peel mine and chop. Adding a small amount of olive oil to a large pan with a good amount of chopped garlic I saut� the eggplant till tender. When tender and cooled I measure out a cup or so into freezer bags. I add this to pasta sauce. Very good.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 1:31PM
jill2761(Southeast Texas)

Yum...I'm going to try that! Since I already have frozen cooked slices and pre-made casseroles and dressing, my plain chopped frozen packages of eggplant haven't been getting used. Your method sounds like a delightful addition to pasta sauce. Even though mine is already frozen plain, I'll saute some with garlic and onions and add to sauce. Next year I'll saute it before freezing. Sounds yummy.

Jill

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
Cranberry Hal. pepper jelly aka turkey's revenge
Is there any reason why I can't use dries crandberries...
ahbee01
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™