Some seedling photos. Hope you like them

roblksdMarch 2, 2012

These are all seedlings. Pictures were taken last year. I will be moving at least half of them this spring so they have some room to grow. When I move them I divide out any stable divisions, label, make some notes and let them

mature.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon

Nice specimens roblksd. How old are the seedlings?

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 11:54AM
mctavish6

Very nice. I really like the 4th one. Myrle

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 11:57AM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Very nice, Rob. I especially like the first one. How old are these? Any that you have registered or will register?

Here's a tiny seedling currently in my basement under lights. It's Lakeside Breeder #4 x OP. Hope you like it.

Overhead

Steve

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 12:03PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

McTavish, I like the 4th one too. That is a fluted leaf, and so very regular.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 1:21PM
roblksd

All but the second one (the cupped one, it is a one year old in the picture. Lakeside Fresh Prince x Steve Moldovan ) are all 3-5 years old. The 4th one is very pretty. It was kind of buried under some giants. The 3rd one is my favorite. It is very large and my photography does not do it justice. My well water has a lot of iron in it and leaves a lot of stains on the leaves. None are registered but am planning on doing so in the future. I have been trying to be patient and let them mature. Noting flower colors, scape height, leaf size, growth rate and fertility. I am naming the 3rd one Lakeside Anything's Possible in memory of Roy Chastain. It was something Roy had said in a conversation while my son and I were there in 2009. Roy recently passed at the age of 90. Roy was a classic gentleman and will be greatly missed by all who knew him.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 1:58PM
tepelus z6a SW MI

They're all very nice, but that third one is my favorite. I'd be staring at it all the time and petting it and telling it nice things if it were in my garden. lol!

Karen

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 2:54PM
hostaLes(5)

hostaLes is pretty stupid! I have been growing my jewels for more than 15 years and have never recognized a seedling until last year - probably hoed hundreds. (lol)
Rob - those are very nice seedlings in my opinion, thoughmy opinion obviously doesn't bear much weight. I too like the 3rd one. Nice work.

Les

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 4:09PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

I still like #4 the best of all. It appears to have a white back to the leaf, (whatever you call that with hosta--glaucous?) and the fluting of the leaf does look like a big seashell.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 5:28PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

Great looking hosta. Nice work.

bkay

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 7:37PM
roblksd

Steve, make sure you keep us updated on your seedling. It will change a lot over the next few months. Maybe you could do a time sequence post. Rob

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 9:28PM
Cher(6 SW OH)

Very nice. My favorite is also that 3rd one, but I like them all.
Cher

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 7:27AM
gardenfanatic(MO zone5b)

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Deanna

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 11:27PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

Rob,and others,I always like to see pics of seedlings. Here is a pic of a couple of my seedlings. These are OP seedlings of Cinnamon Sticks hostas. They look nothing like my Cinnamon Sticks plant,which I still have. I originally just planted the seeds in a pot outside,and they just kept growing. They are about 5 years old,and I have named them Cinnamon Blue,because they are actually bluer than the pic shows. Phil,in NC.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
donrawson
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
info on spam
anyone know where to find the rules for spam are in...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Hosta G 2014
I saw a sign that said "watch for children"...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™