1 eyed cyclops, has 4 eyes now !

leafwatcher(zone 5)March 21, 2012

My 4 year old Sagae , known to me as cyclops has FINALLY added eyes..If all my favorite hosta quadruple their eyes, ..I will be smiling !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kskaren(z5 MO)

Glad to hear it, Leafwatcher! I still consider myself a newbie hosta lover, with most of my hostas being less than 3 years old. I noticed yesterday that my 2nd-year Atlantis looks to still have only one eye. I was wondering about that, since I assumed there would be at least one more eye this year. Thanks for the reassurance!
Karen

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 3:05PM
Johnsp(6b)

Karen make sure your hostas get plenty of water. Never let the soil dry out. If your plants aren't growing/increasing in size lack of moisture may be the reason. Hostas also like a nutrient rich soil so any organic matter such as leaf mulch or grass clippings you can add to the soil is beneficial and will help retain moisture as well. I cover the hosta beds with mulch and in the fall mow the leaves down with my mower and mix that into the beds raking the mulch back then rake the mulch back in place to keep from being blown away by the wind.

Scott

Scott

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 11:14PM
kskaren(z5 MO)

Thanks for the advice, Scott! Much as I tried to stay on top of watering last year, we were doing A LOT of construction on our landscape for our daughter's wedding here, so they may have gone a bit dry now and then.

I have begun to use all of my leaves for mulch, but I usually just put it on top of my wood mulch. I like the idea of raking it back and putting the leaves under it, because, you're right---some of it does get blown away.
Thanks again!
Karen

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
donrawson
We have bullets n numbers!
I love this feature! These will come in handy...especially...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
i will miss the freak
phil the hostafreak passed on 12/4 ... an aneurysm...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
what do you plant in
This is my newest planted my husband buffed and painted...
almosthooked
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™