Best time to plant in 9b

missylin(9b)September 13, 2013

I am told by some that you can plant daylilies anytime here. I imagine this time of year perhaps you can get daylilies at a lower price, but I think it's still to hot (here in Central Florida where it's still in the lower 90s) to plant. I'd like advice on the best times to plant. I don't know if daylily sellers would hold daylilies for me or if I should get them in pots (from a florida hybridizer) and water til the right time to plant. I'm having some home repairs done so can't afford to add a lot of daylilies right now, but once the season comes they are often out of some. Thanks so much for your advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
FarawayFarmer(9a)

We are on the boundary of 9a and 9b in central Florida, and what they say is true--you can plant daylilies anytime in central Florida.

In fact, we have spent the last several weeks digging up, dividing, and replanting every cultivar we have--currently some 800 individual plants spread across 160 cultivars.

Last year, we made a large purchase from a Florida grower at the end of October, and the plants did just fine.

All of the above being said, this is probably not the ideal time to plant daylilies, but with water and care, they seem to flourish. Of course, it helps that you really have to work hard to kill a daylily. They're extremely forgiving.

This post was edited by FarawayFarmer on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 16:11

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 4:10PM
missylin(9b)

Dear Faraway Farmer,
Would it be better to wait til later in October? When would you say would be an ideal time to plant- November? And would you mind sharing your source. My email is lin2@cfl.rr.com if you don't want to say publicly. Also, how do you know when it's time to separate daylilies? None of mine are super big yet. I'm at the southern end of Brevard County, BTW.
Thanks so much!

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 4:30PM
dementieva(Zone 9 - Houston)

Here in Houston, I like to plant new daylilies (and anything else for that matter) around October. As a bonus, that's often when you can get the best deals anyway!

Nate

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
New Grandson is now One Week old
Last Thursday afternoon, a little after 3 pm , Hunter...
daylilydayzed
How cold can it get!
I am experimenting here!! seeing if I can start a...
Cindy zone 6a
24/7 daylilies in year 2
I tried the following varieties. Key Largo Moon Kokomo...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
I copied this post from Jasminerose4u in the rose forum....
KarenPA_6b
Buying daylilies from the south
I placed an order for daylilies from a Florida seller....
KarenPA_6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™