Seeds accidentally germinated in the mail!

TNY78(7a-East TN)September 12, 2013

I just received some seeds I bought on the Lily Auction and a couple of the bonus seeds accidentally germinated on route to me. Should I plant these and keep them in my greenhouse ...this close to winter? Or is it too late to put them in the fridge after they've already sprouted?

Thanks!
Tammy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy zone 6

I think once they've sprouted, you should plant them. I imagine they will be fine in the greenhouse overwinter. I've overwintered them in a window in the house before

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 7:07PM
JudyannZ7(z7aOK)

zone 7? I'd get them out of doors into the ground myself. Not too late at all. Just be sure to put peat into the soil and have some handy in case you see any insects so you can put it around the little seedlings to prevent damping off. I think they have a better survival rate out of doors in a natural environment than inside where they won't grow as strong.

You could split half and half, too. Document your own experiment.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 9:47PM
TNY78(7a-East TN)

I was planning on starting the rest indoors under grow lights in a couple of months, but I guess this little mishap will give me a headstart...at least I know the seeds are nice and healthy! I think I'll try the 1/2 and 1/2 way...being on the border of 7a/6b, it will give me a better feel for what works best for me. This is my first year experimenting with daylily seeds, so I don't have a set process yet :)

Thanks for your input!
Tammy

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
Blooms...I need blooms....Winter is too long!
Have to have a few just to get by Front area Then the...
organic_kitten
NOIDS
Like Indian cast system the NOIDs appear to be low...
brigarif Khan
24/7 daylilies in year 2
I tried the following varieties. Key Largo Moon Kokomo...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Marvelous "M" daylilies, let's see them!
It's time for the M daylilies and I actually have a...
sherrygirl zone5
Seedlings that you can't wait to see how they do this year
We all have some seedlings that we can't wait to see...
dragonflypond
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™