crushed versus water-packed timing

PutyourshovelAugust 23, 2011

I ask myself this question every year, and thought this season I'd ask it here:

I process tomatoes either following the crushed tomato recipe, or the tomatoes packed in water (hot-pack). To me, these end up looking nearly like identical products, but the processing time is SO different.

I know one issue for me is that I use a bunch of different tomato varieties, so I end up quartering (or even Eigth-ing) large tomatoes, and I almost never have a jar with whole smaller fruit, so maybe that's why the end product is so much the same for me. Since this is the case, and I don't really care about how they look (I just use for stews and soups), I end up doing crushed 99% of the time now, because of the shorter processing time.

Just wondering the rationale behind the timing? Is it because whole fruit would be denser? I try to be pretty meticulous about following approved recipes, and every year I have a nagging worry that I might be doing something wrong. I also like to know the "why" behind instructions because I feel more comfortable with the process. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Crushed Tomatoes is 45 mins for quarts.
Whole or halves packed in water is 45 mins for quarts.

So specifically what set of instructions and what time difference are we talking about?

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning Tomatoes instructions

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 5:26PM
Putyourshovel

Sorry, I should have added this was the ball book of home preserving. You're right they aren't that different (mine is 40 versus 35 minutes for pints).

I guess I'm looking at the No-added liquid recipe, which is 85 minutes! My crushed tomatoes have no added liquid, so is the difference the density of the jars?

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 8:54PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I think perhaps you are reading the wrong instructions for what you are doing or mis-understanding the terms/labels?

Crushed Tomatoes (with no added liquid) is 35 min for pints.

Whole or Halved Tomatoes (packed in water) is 40 min for pints.

Whole or Halved Tomatoes (packed in tomato juice) is 85 min for pints.

Whole or Halved Tomatoes (packed raw without added liquid) is 85 min for pints.

So if you are doing Crushed Tomatoes with no added liquid then the processing time is 35 min for pints.

The rest of the times are for whole or halved tomatoes, not crushed. So yes the density in the jar would be much greater with much bigger solid pieces that the heat wouldn't penetrate as quickly.

But the Crushed Tomatoes instructions are very specific. They actually pulped with a mallet a few at a time, not just chopped in pieces.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Crushed tomatoes

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
Roasting previously frozen peppers
Has anyone had any experience either oven roasting...
ekgrows
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™