Somewhat OT: stephanotis!

quinnfyre(z7 PA)March 14, 2011

I may have mentioned I bought a budding stephanotis at the Philly Flower Show. It's a nice sized one, trained on a hoop. Well, it is blooming! And it smells heavenly. It's like the best of both worlds: hoya-like leaves, and similar shaped but larger starry jasmine sambac-like flowers that smell jasmine-y and hyacinth-y at the same time.

I will post pics when I get a moment, perhaps more of the buds will have opened too.

Stephanotis is related to hoyas, right? And get similar care? I want to try and get this one to thrive. It's sitting on my desk under a light, at the moment; I had no other place to isolate it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

Ok, a few pics. Completely unedited (in case anyone wanted to know). I didn't feel like risking the wrath of my computer by running Photoshop, the fan kicks into overly loud overdrive when I do, needs repair :(

It is perfuming my whole room, and is particularly nice when the fans for my plant shelf and orchids kick in.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 7:10PM
cpawl(8)

Quinnfyre,I bet your room smells nice.I was given a stephanotis about 2 years ago and it hasn't really grown much but I just found what looks like a peduncle so may be I will get to see flowers this year.
I love your photos by the way.

Cindy

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 8:28PM
greedygh0st

That is just lovely. I had been trying to ignore your last post about the stephanotis, in an attempt to avoid temptation, but I suppose it's too late for that now. You're right, it does seem like the best of both worlds. It looks almost like an australis at a glance, which I think has such classic elegance. Like it belongs at a wedding.

Sorry about your ongoing computer woes. At least it doesn't roar at you all the time.

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 12:01PM
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

I vote you get one. It is totally worth it. The flowers are still going strong, and it alternates between smelling somewhat hyacinth-like to smelling a lot like this tuberose lotion I got from Bath and Body Works. I think lacunosa is adding its fragrance to the mix now and again, as well. I don't think they're close to blooming at all, but calycina and australis ssp. tenuipes also live in my room. If they all bloomed at once... well, that could get interesting ;)

My computer is a cranky one, indeed. I'm hoping a fan replacement does the trick. I'm just afraid to take it in though; it involves carting around with me on two buses and probably leaving it with them for a little while, during which I am completely computerless. Also, I'm afraid (for no particular reason) that it will not end up being as simple as a fan replacement. Ah well. I need to figure it out sooner rather than later.

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 1:34AM
greedygh0st

It's going on my list! I feel like such an idiot saying it reminds me of something that belongs at a wedding. And then I look it up and find that its common name is 'bridal bouquet.' >_>;

Your fan replacement diagnosis is extremely likely. I don't know how many times I've been down that road. It's always the fans. That said, I'm the. same. way. about avoiding bringing my computer in. :3 Also, about getting my teeth checked.

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 12:58PM
kellyknits(6/WV Eastern Panhandle)

LOL, I, too, had been avoiding this as I don't need to add to my list of wants... It really is beautiful!

Good luck with the computer....ugh....

Kelly

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 3:30PM
mdahms1979

Hey a computer fan is the least expensive part to have to fix, well laptops are a pain but desk tops are no problem.

I had a cutting of this plant but I sold it. There was a clothing store here that had a huge plant growing along their front window all twined around some iron work and it looked beautiful and bloomed often.

Mike

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 6:04PM
greedygh0st

That's an inspiring image, Mike. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
update on baby incrassatas
First of all, here's "mama"...yes, I know...
shelley7950
Hoya?
Anyone know the name of this Hoya...about 3cm flower?...
marleneann
succulent leafed hoyas
Would love to know from all of you which hoyas have...
pal123
My Hoya onychoides
Hey all, my Hoya onychoides finally bloomed for the...
rennfl
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™