Jacaranda Tree

welcomesite(8B)September 5, 2013

I put this tree in the ground last July. It grew to 7 feet tall & I tented it over the Winter but a surprise Florida freeze on March 28th killed all the foliage. It quickly resprouted at the base of the trunk & I chopped the tree, leaving only 1 sprout 5 inches from the ground, which has reached a height of 10 feet, in 5 months.

Here is a link that might be useful: diary for this specimen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wallisadi

Nice post! Good luck with your tree, it's going to be a challenge in your zone. We push the limits here, have a "paradise tree" and a "sausage tree."

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 10:49AM
welcomesite(8B)

Ya, I'm not going to tent it this Winter, so I hope it has become established enough to survive with just some thick leaf mulch & wrapping of the trunk. I have heard it said though that the trees that endure the worst Winters are the ones that put forth the most impressive display of blooms.

If this tree survives, I have a long driveway & I plan to start lining it with Jacaranda in the Spring.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 11:44AM
katkin_gw

I read somewhere that the jacs rooted from cuttings will bloom faster then seed grown trees. I have a seed grown that's 5 and hasn't bloom yet. I had one that was even older that never bloomed but lost it in the hurricane.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 7:16AM
msmorningsong(SW FL 10A)

Loved reading your post and viewing the diary. How tall was the seedling when you first placed it in the ground welcomesite?

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 6:38AM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

We had a jacaranda tree in Phx,AZ (pretty much a 9b where we lived) and it did okay even with a few light freezes. It was pretty huge.

I have 3 sausage trees here in zone 9a FL. I usually put them in the gh for the winter and sometimes they drop their leaves but leaf back out in the spring.
I left one out last winter in the ground as an experiment and when it dipped a under freezing, it froze to the ground but it eventually came back up this spring and has 2 trunks now lol. I had thought it was a goner.
I am gonna dig it up again this winter. I covered it the one time we dipped to 32F this winter and it will be 34 tonight so I will just cover it again. If it looks like it will get under 32F I will have to dig it up and move it into the gh.

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 1:23PM
morningloree(9b)

The same thing happened to my Jacaranda Tree, it resprouted from the trunk. I have seen mature ones blooming in Tavares which I believe is 9-a, so I think the more established trees are hardier.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Weather permitting?
Has Clearwater/St Pete weather warmed enought to set...
Lydie
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
For the past 3 years my sapodilla tree has had an ever...
billbrandi
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™