Osmocote and Hosta

franknjimMarch 17, 2012

I am going to use a 14-14-14 Osmocote on the entire front yard this year to see how much of a difference it will make in my hosta since I am unable to do anything to amend my soil in any way due to the beloved Silver Maple trees that Ken loves so much! I am thinking that just one application will be enough once things leaf out since it should last 3 to 4 months.

I bought a 50lb bag of it today, $110.00. My main reason for getting it was for the 25 flats of annual flowers that I have growing in my basement right now that will be used in baskets and pots.

I have never been consistent in feeding anything so I want to see what will happen if I actually put some effort into doing it. Hosta already grow for me better than they should with just extra effort put into watering very heavily.

I won't be using the Osmocote in pots of hosta. I'll just hit those with liquid fertilizers during the growing season.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

make sure you get the 3 month ..

4 month is stretching it in z5 ...

i just heard that there is a generic available that is significantly cheaper ...

ken

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 3:46PM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Slow release ferts are great because it allows you to feed without overfeeding. The nutrients are available as the plant needs them. Osmocote also has both micro and macro nutrients so it has everything Hostas need. Do you know the pH of your soil, Frank? Have you had a test?

I would use the Osmocote in pots also. Either mix it in with your potting mix or work it into the surface. There is no evidence that foliar feeding is beneficial for plants. Plants can absorb some micro nutrients through foliar feeding, but the NPK has to come through the roots. Liquid feeding applied to the soil works fine, but of course, you get run-off that way.

BTW, the Maple roots will love the Osmocote. :)

Steve

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 5:21PM
franknjim

I did get the 3-4 month version.

Not sure what the pH of the soil is. I do know that this area used to be a lake bed long ago. There is about 16"-24" of topsoil with sand below that.

I use fertilizer spikes around all of the ornamental trees and shrubs.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Early emerging hostas?
What hostas which emerge early each spring before the...
donrawson
need help for my yard
I need ideas for this boring yard. Southeast PA, West...
carol0512
mulch around hostas. leaves, etc.
I have always read that you need to clean up the hostas...
steelskies
YEA PIPS!!!!!!
Oh, wait a minute, those are tulips. : {
Jon 6a SE MA
Where to buy Hosta
I hope that title is searchable. I think it's the responsibility...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™