Look What Came Home w/ Me Last Weekend

pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)March 16, 2010

Hi Folks,

Check out this pretty thing, cool find last weekend.

Calls itself Hoya Tricolor 8" pot, not EA. Cleaned up really nicely.

I guess it's H. Krimson Queen w/ some extreme coloring which I guess will whiten w/ age. Has extremely variable leaves, not just in color but in shape, some look like mini KP leaves, but has some some elliptical, some round?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

One more view?

Bookmark   March 16, 2010 at 11:45PM
maidinmontana

Hi PG, yes, it's a KP. A vey pretty one at that. I have a cutting from last year and it has taken off like gang busters here lately. It's one I really enjoy watching for new growth b/c every leaf seems to be different and so colorful when they are new.

Good find.

Maid~

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 9:09AM
denise_gw

Hi Karen,

That's what they call the "superior clone" of KQ. It's a nice one - I have one, too, but I almost lost it and it's now fairly happy in hydroton. It hasn't grown much since I almost lost it, but I think it's settled in and will take off this spring. It's a beauty!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 4:15PM
hong2007(9)

I just bought one on ebay just like the one in this picture. I may need your advise once it arrive.

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 7:41PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I kinda thought you'd all like 'em. I think it's gorgeous & just the kind of leaves to remember when one thinks of growing Hoyas as much for foliage as for blooms (right Denise?). I think this foliage is amazing, can't wait to see how it ages.

There were a good 1/2 dozen of these in the store. AM tempted to get a 2nd one myself, 8" for $10. Am wondering, should I buy them for people?

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 11:13PM
patrick51(5)

Hello Karen....I posted a response on the House Plant forum several days ago, but for some reason, several of my posts never appeared, assuming it's technical difficulties with GW. Anyways, congratulations on your beautiful KQ, superior clone. I, too, have this variety and it grows fast and enormously...mine is so heavy that I had to remove it from the hanging pipes and place it on a plant stand....it was literally pulling the pipes down. Good selection, my friend...and please enjoy!! Fondly, Patrick

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 10:06AM
houseplantlover(ontario/canada)

I got one too last week form walmart for $8. Any special care for this one? Water and light? I really like it.
I am so glad that spring is here.

Stacey

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 3:05PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I misspoke above, meant to say some leaves look like mini KQ leaves (not KP). The variegation is definately on the outer edge, not inner.

Thanks for the congrats everybody, I think I'm gonna go buy more 'cause (A) I LOVE it & (B) maybe I can use it for swaps later this year.

Besides, I think it was two years ago (maybe 3) right around this time of year that I first found the H. Lacunosa Snow Cap at the same HD, & couldn't take it home that day cause there were snow flurries.

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
Rehabilitating Problematic H. obovata
Hello. I acquired H. obovata sometime last autumn and...
fakechuchi
Bragging on the hubby (photo heavy)
Ever since he made this wonderful shelving system,...
aurorawa
Where to get Hoya Cuttings or starts (from Canada)
Hello, I have a few Hoya's, but I would like to add...
rcharles_gw
extending bamboo life
Do you dip these into anything to extend their life?...
greentoe357
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™