Update on backyard beds.. a really nice cosmos

silverkelt(Z5b/Southern Maine)September 9, 2012

Im around 90% done now, need some more rocks to finish off the bed and some more cutting back of things in the back to have a nice path back into the woods. This took about 30 truckloads of compost, with about 300 shovel fulls to fill, 300 to unload unto the wheelbarrow and then haul back.. I have to tell you I was sweating and sweating doing this. Didnt help it decided to be "nice" this week. I wouldve been satisfied with overcast and chilly.

Sorry for the shadows, its already starting to get dark early, its not even 6 pm now and the sun is competely behind the trees already. Such is life in the north.. I cant imagine living even further north really.

I cant remember the name of this cosmos, I planted this pring, its pretty , its smaller then some of the other cosmos Ive grown, Its nice its weaving out of some other types of cosmos, not sure I wouldve stuck my head over that way if they werent blooming as well.

Silverkelt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cindy zone 6a

That bed is great. The rocks really set it off. The soil looks great.
It will be worth all that sweat.
Cindy

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 7:50PM
houstmag

They may have been a lot of work but your new beds are going to be worth the work once all those DL's are planted and start to bloom.
Linda

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 7:22AM
lisa_3(5)

That is a pretty Cosmos. Can't wait to see your new be in bloom next year!

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 9:42AM
celeste(zone 4 NH)

Your woods look like my woods and I completely understand how much work it is to put in a new garden bed up here in the north. Roots, stumps and rocks everywhere so we have to truck in dirt by the backbreaking wheelbarrow load. Every single one of my dozens of garden beds I made myself out of rocks, raised up and filled with loam. When people see my garden they naturally assume my husband did all the work, but no....I do it all myself. He just mows the lawn.
I just got done with my own backbreaking projects of building 2 more raised rock beds so my back is hurting right along with yours!

Celeste

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 9:53AM
Julia NY(6)

I'm with you on just how much work goes into creating new beds not to mention the ones you have to maintain. It is worth it in the end. Great job.
And yes, it is sad how it gets dark earlier now.8:00pm it is dark here already. :-(.

Julia

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 1:27PM
Waitforspring(6 MA)

Your new beds look terrific and I know the daylilies will love it. I know what you mean about it getting dark too early now. It's getting dark at 6:00 here. We also have EEE in this state so even with using Deet every time I'm in the yard I figure it's best to get inside when it starts getting dark.
Val

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 8:38PM
mizellie(z7 Al)

It's looking good silvertkelt. Now, I will wait for you to fill it up...LOL!! Ellie

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 10:07PM
katlynn719(8b)

Once again, I am green with rock envy. I agree with Ellie...it will be fun for all of us to watch this bed fill up!
Kathy

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 10:52PM
silverkelt(Z5b/Southern Maine)

Just planted about a 100 daffodill bulbs, some tulips and a few of the giant allium types. Ive never grown the allium, so will see how it looks. My plan will be to put about 300 -500 bulbs in here for some early season stuff. I love daffs anyways, since you just plant them and you dont have to do much else ever again.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 5:14PM
More Discussions
Marvelous "M" daylilies, let's see them!
It's time for the M daylilies and I actually have a...
sherrygirl zone5
New Grandson is now One Week old
Last Thursday afternoon, a little after 3 pm , Hunter...
daylilydayzed
WARNING- do not use EcoSmart Grass & Weed Killer
I just sprayed this on my grass inbetween the cracks...
dani_plus_2
NOIDS
Like Indian cast system the NOIDs appear to be low...
brigarif Khan
Let's se those perfect "P" and "Q" daylilies!
It is time for the P and Q daylily pictures! I am cuious...
sherrygirl zone5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™