Fragrant Queen

bkay2000(8a TX)March 25, 2014

I lost Fragrant Queen over the winter. I'm debating replacing it. I would not replace it at the price I paid for it, that's for sure.

It was fairly small when I got it in May 2012

It did fine in 2012 (It didn't get Cleo'd)

We had a bad spring in 2013 and it barely made it.

It appeared to do ok in 2013, although it didn't increase.

It didn't come back this year. Is this a difficult hosta? I really like the way it looks. It's supposed to be a tetraploid, which, although few, have not done so well for me.

Would you replace it?

bk

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Babka NorCal 9b

I got mine in 2009, one eye. It stayed one eye, although each year it came back larger. Last year it surprised me with 3 big eyes. This year it is back to two eyes, but those eyes are whoppers.. over an inch thick at the base and the first leaf to open is larger than my hand. Has it come down in price? It is a breathtaking hosta. Slow for me but worth it.

-Babka

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 2:48PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

Thanks, Babka, It has really come down in price. Chris has it for around $14.00. That's why I was considering replacing it.

bk

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 11:07PM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

I would replace it. But I don't grow FQ in a pot. I bought mine as a liner (mistake) and it's been on a slow but steady increase. The variegation on this plant is really lovely.

Steve

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 7:54AM
bkay2000(8a TX)

Steve, I have no hosta in the ground. I won't be doing that in the near future. Thanks for the suggestion, though. What's the reasoning behind it?

bk

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 8:33AM

No special reasoning, bkay. I wasn't suggesting you grow it in the ground, just that it may grow differently in a pot. I plant my fragrant varieties just off my deck.

FQ is a tetraploid, which generally means a shorter, thicker, slower growing plant with bigger margins than its parent. I don't really know what that means for pot growing. But I wouldn't give up on it yet. Especially if you are getting one from Chris (which I should have done.)

Steve

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 8:43AM
bernd ny zone5

I though about buying h. 'Fragrant Queen'. All kids of plantaginea love sun, have a good spot for it. Bernd.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 9:22AM
bkay2000(8a TX)

I misread what you wrote. Sorry, Steve.

bk

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 9:32AM
don_in_colorado

Steve, was it your 'Fragrant Queen' that you mentioned had flowers almost as large as plantaginea? (Maybe it was 'Fragrant King', or maybe I'm simply mistaken).

Don B.

P.S. Indeed, BKay. For $13.50 @ Hallson Gardens, I'd try it again. After all these good pics, I may just order it myself.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 3:30PM

Yes, Don. The flowers on FQ are larger than on the usual fragrant plant. They aren't as long as momma plantaginea, but they are the largest I've seen. Sorry don't have a pic.

Steve

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
hostanista
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
New arrivals
It dawned mild and sunny here in Wales today. The postman...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
info on spam
anyone know where to find the rules for spam are in...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™