Has anyone ever made jelly from the berries. My bush/tree is loaded with ripe berries. I stand beside it and graze. Just wondered if anyone else likes to eat them.
I was not aware that they were edible?
DO NOT EAT THEM!! Caution; children and pets can be tempted to consume the berries which can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain.
I'm not refering to the seed. The purple fleshy part between the seed & the branch is very edible. I used to have a recipe (long lost, & can't remember from what publication) for this jelly. I have eaten these for many, many years & never had a problem. I was just curious as to wether anyone else liked them.
Hmmm - this thread caught my attention, so I looked up podocarpus on Floridata.com & it sez that the berries are 'mildly toxic' & shouldn't be eaten....
Here is a link that might be useful: Podocarpus @ Floridata.com
A search shows that many sites state that the fruit is edible - mostly by birds or other animals like wild pigs .
The podocarpus listed are those in Australia , Africa and rain forests .
Nothing like first hand experience happy girl to prove that you can eat them without immediately keeling over . The write ups describe the fruit as having a slight grape like flavor with a resinous after taste . Strawberry Guava can be like that too .
Well, I always thought they were toxic. It is nice to know that they are not. We have planted them around almost the entire perimeter or our yard. We thought they would make a nice living fence. Now I can make jelly from them. Another plus for them!!!!
Or...perhaps, that is WHAT makes Happy Girl so darn 'Happy'!...;-)
I have eaten podocarpua berries all my life and never had an ill effect.