hoya ID

nurse_boyApril 5, 2014

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums although have been lurking in the back ground for a little while. There is some great advice from knowledge people here and I was wondering if I can take advantage of that. My partner bought me a new hoya a couple of weeks ago from an Orchid show and it is labelled hoya pattella. Of all the pictures and information I've been able to find of hoya patella I don't think that is what it is. So I was wondering if I could have some help to id it. Hopefully the picture uploads will work.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Nurse boy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nurse_boy

Sorry about the photo coming out sideways. Not sure how to fix that on my phone. Here's another photo.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 12:35AM
nurse_boy

And lastly here's another photo a bit closer. Let me know if anyone wants a different angle. Unfortunately it doesn't have any peduncles or flowers which would make the process easier.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 12:38AM
greedygh0st

Hey nurse boy,

As you surmised, it's definitely not patella, which has wider, shorter, fuzzy leaves. It looks like pauciflora, to me.

Source: A New Zealand Grower

This is a plant that always did really well for me, without any special needs. It tolerates drought well and grows pretty quickly. So, I was taken aback when I recently nearly lost it. Luckily I was able to bring it back from the grave from a desiccated last vine. A few months later it's looking great, has grown out, and I appreciate it more than ever! I think you'll love it and it's a great gift!

Glad to hear from you! :)

This post was edited by greedyghost on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 1:05

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 1:00AM
nurse_boy

Hey greedy ghost, just checked a few photos on Google and that is exactly what it looks like. I looking forward to it flowering. Thank you very much for the id!

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 3:48AM
vermonthoyas

Nurse Boy,

GG is right about it being Hoya pauciflora, which happens to be one of my absolute favorite Hoyas. The most blooms, and, or, buds, that I've had on it at one time is eight, and that was in a cool, humid, basement grow tent. I used to think that it would only flower under those conditions, but this winter it flowered 3 separate times in the regular house at 68ðF with pretty dry conditions.

Here is a photo of the flower from this year:

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 6:41AM
nurse_boy

Hey greedy ghost, just checked a few photos on Google and that is exactly what it looks like. I looking forward to it flowering. Thank you very much for the id!

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 12:07PM
nurse_boy

Thanks for that Vermont hoyas. It does seem to have nice blooms. I just hope I can give it the cooler conditions that it needs. Might be a bit difficult here in Australia!

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 1:33AM
More Discussions
Can i hang my Fishtail Hoya under a 42in roof overhang?
I have a nice full fishtail hoya i got back in early...
tlbean2004
Krimson princess question
I've had this hoya for about 6 months or so. Lately...
loveofbostons
Hoya Krimson Queen with her crown
This is a 15 year old plant , she has never bloomed,...
smi2
Hoya australis ssp. australis
My australis ssp. australis is in dire need of a good...
denise_gw
Sponsored Products
Cashmere Textured Dupioni Silk Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 84
$158.95 | Bellacor
Westinghouse Ceiling Fans Polished Brass Canopy Kit 7706100
$11.99 | Home Depot
Switch Plate Tags Ant Brass 1 11/16" W FLOODS Switch Plate Tag
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Heavy Duty Stackable Storage Bin
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Minka Lavery | Gyro Wet Fan
YLiving.com