still new to canning - forgot a step

lolear(5b - Chicago)August 24, 2010

When I made my second attempt at canning (pear chutney - BBB) I neglected to remove the air bubbles prior to putting on the lids and processing. Everything seemed to seal fine. Will they be safe?

Thanks,

Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Yes since it is an acidified food they will be safe. Depending on how and how long it is stored, you may get some discoloration of the top part as the air works it way up the jar but you can scrape that off when you open the jar.

A post-it-note with the basic steps stuck up right in front of where you are working can really be of help. But in time steps like removing the air bubbles will become second nature to you. ;)

Dave

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 6:51PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

I wondered about this too. I canned apple butter and apple sauce, and could not get the tiny bubbles out no matter how hard I tried. I would only create more bubbles - there are TONS in there!

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 10:16PM

Many times when you find lots of small air pockets like that and can't seem to remove them it means your food/sauce/etc. is a bit too thick.

That is a common problem with things like applesauce and butters as they can easily get cooked too long and end up too thick. It needs to be thin enough to 'burp' - to remove the air pockets easily. So next time you might want to consider putting it back into the pot and thinning it down just a little for better results.

Dave

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 10:39PM
lolear(5b - Chicago)

Okay, good. Phew!! Glad I won't be poisoning anyone... I swear I'm not a ditz.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 10:45PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

This is a good lesson to learn, one we've all had to figure out. Fatigue is a huge factor in canning safety. No matter how pressured we are, we have to allow ourselves to stand back sometimes and just take a break. Otherwise we do dumb things.

Carol

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 12:24AM
Panderson

I made some dill and garlic pickles this morning, and also forgot to let the air bubbles out. Do I need to throw the batch out? The lids popped, so I know they are sealed.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 3:20PM

I made some dill and garlic pickles this morning, and also forgot to let the air bubbles out. Do I need to throw the batch out?

Just as indicated above, since this is an acidified food, yes they will be safe. That is assuming you used an approved and tested recipe? If you didn't then there is no way to assure their safety.

Dave

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Cranberry Hal. pepper jelly aka turkey's revenge
Is there any reason why I can't use dries crandberries...
ahbee01
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™