One and a half pint ball jars

sue_ct(z6 CT)August 30, 2012

I bought some 1 1/2 pint jars a while ago simply because I sometimes have less than a full quart of tomatoes left for a batch, plus it is just me here so sometimes I could just use a little bit smaller portion to open for something. I used one that I processed with a batch of all quart jars of tomatoes. I think I pressure canned those. I did not realize until a while afterwards that the ball book says 1 1/2 pint jars are not recommended for the tomato recipes, just quarts and pints. Does anyone know why in heavens not? Do I really need to toss these and not use the rest of the jars? They are the same height as the Quarts just a little narrower, like the pints. Since they are neither taller nor thicker than the other sizes and I put the same amt of citric acid in them and processed them for the same amt of time as the Quarts, what could be wrong?

Scratching my head on this one...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

That Ball statement seems absurd to me. AFAIK, there's no reason in the world why you couldn't process a pint-and-a-half at quart times with no problem whatsoever. Can you provide the source (book & page #) so we can check out the precise statement?

Carol

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 5:24PM
sue_ct(z6 CT)

Oops, my mistake, lol. It says not recommended for 1.5 L jars! 1.5 Liters would be larger than quarts, so that explains it.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 5:31PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

OK. That makes sense. Still, it's always nice to get things cleared up. You're going to love those pint-and-a-halfs. I was so glad to see they're being reissued.

Carol

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 6:10PM
2ajsmama

Ace has them on sale this weekend (only through tomorrow - don't think it includes Monday) 2 cases for $14. And Ball had a $1 coupon in Sunday paper a while ago (also one for Buy 2 get 1 free lids, but lids are half the price at WM they are at Ace).

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 10:24PM
More Discussions
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™