Apple Butter with Peels & Double Decking Jelly Jars

kriswrite(zone 8)August 20, 2012

I just got through making huge batches of applesauce - my first time doing so with the apple skins on (not peeled off). I'm ready to do some apple butter now. Is it safe to make it with the apples peels still on?

I also wonder if I can double stack jelly jars when using my pressure canner as a water bath canner?

Thanks!

Kristina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

Yes, you can process your apple butter the same way you made sauce. It is, after all, just thickened and spiced sauce.

Yes, you can stack jars in your canner (used as water bath), as long as you have a rack between the layers. You don't want a jar sitting directly on the lid of another jar.

I'm not sure how you plan to cook down the sauce into "butter", but I have found the crockpot is good for small batches and a large roasting pan in the oven is good for large batches. No scorching! I am not good about standing over a pot for hours on end!
In the oven, you can ignore it for 30, 60, 90 minutes with no problem! Depending on how high you have the heat.
I usually cook down at about 275-300 and stir every 30-45 minutes.

Deanna

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 6:05PM
kriswrite(zone 8)

Thanks! I usually just cook it over the stove. But I just realized I don't have apple cider...so I'll have to wait for another day.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 6:10PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

It's your choice of course as long as you accept that unpeeled adds additional bacterial and mold risks. That's why peeling is what is recommended by the standard guidelines.

Personally I can't relate to apple peels in either if I was making them.

Dave

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™