Comparison

denise_gw(5)April 16, 2010

Both my big-leaved verticillata and my variegated verticillata are blooming right now. The flowers are very close to the same, but the corona on the variegated form is slightly lighter... regular:

...variegated:

And while I'm posting, my latifolia finally opened. It looks surprisingly like verticillata, too!

They're all very fragrant, BTW.

Denise in Omaha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tishfromwis(z5 WI)

And all very beautiful!!! Different fragrances? Can you describe them? I imagine the two verticillata are similar?

~Tish~

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 1:08PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

I second that! They're all just beautiful! You sure can bloom anything Denise! They do look very similar to each other with slightly different shades, but blooms that pretty...No one minds,lol...

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 3:18PM
denise_gw(5)

You know, I'm not good at distinguishing fragrances. They all smell sweet, kind of perfumey. The verticillatas have the strongest fragrance. The latifolia I have to put my nose pretty close to smell.

And thanks for all the kind comments. I have a lot of happy looking plants - they seem to think summer is here, like the outside stuff does, probably because of our extraordinarily warm days we've had the last couple of weeks. Tonight's 35 degree low will give the outside stuff a reality check!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 5:28PM
mdahms1979

Beautiful Denise! Are the flowers relativly the same size when you compare verticillata and latifolia?

We are forecast for a two degree below freezing night and cool weekend after a week with a summer like high approcahing 25C. Time to bring in the plants I have outside, no Hoyas though.

Mike

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 6:12PM
tishfromwis(z5 WI)

That's too funny Denise!!! You must live near me. Same kind of weather. Kind of messes up Spring blooms and aggravates me to no end. Also, it gets really windy and blows the blooms off the magnolias and the petals off all of the Spring bulbs. Can't do nothing but move and I'm staying put...

~Tish~

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 6:18PM
denise_gw(5)

Tish... yes, it's been windy for us, too. Mostly a south wind, which is why it's been so warm.

Mike... the bloom size on latifolia is about the size as verticillata, but the individual flowers are more "splayed" (know what I mean - wide apart as oppossed to compactly close together...) As evening approaches, the kitchen smells like a perfume factory! (GH off kitchen via a slider...)

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 8:35PM
geosdee(Zone 8 FL Panhandle)

Beautiful Denise.

Dee

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Rehabilitating Problematic H. obovata
Hello. I acquired H. obovata sometime last autumn and...
fakechuchi
Suffering Hindu Rope
I have a little hoya (about 8" long) that's been...
ccj962
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
Will a hoya cutting grow without the "tip"
Hi just recently acquired some hoya cuttings.. a lacunosa...
bkempress
H. carnosa
I got these as cuttings from my father's plants, he...
tropicbreezent
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™