Apple Questions

missemerald(7 (Virginia))August 25, 2012

PYO apple season is just getting started here in Virginia and I wondered if the very helpful folks here could help with some questions I have...

1. Which are good "keeper" apples? For instance, a local place has Golden Delicious and Gala, neither of which keep well long term (I think) but which ones do? Rome? Stayman?

2. Which apples are best for drying? I just ordered a dehydrator from Amazon and I'm very excited to be using it soon!

2. Applesauce or apple pie filling (canned, both). Does it matter which type? I don't remember my mom getting a specific apple for applesauce and she canned a lot of it, but I can't ask her as she's gone now.

Thanks so much, this website is full of very helpful folks and I have learned so much from you!

Marcy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
malna

For keeping, we always liked Winesap or Stayman apples. We used to get Baldwin apples, but I haven't seen any of those in years.

For dehydrating, any firm apple will work. I think I used Fuji or Galas last year along with some Granny Smiths.

For applesauce (I make apple butter), I use anything. Actually, I think a mixture is better. The nice man at the Farmer's Market sells me seconds - apples he doesn't want to sell because of spots, they're misshapen or whatever. I get a big bag of all different kinds.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 6:30AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Personally I never use either of the Delicious varieties for anything. There are just so many much better varieties out there.

Like malna we prefer using a broad variety of different apples for both sauce and apple butter - as many different ones as you can get. But we always include some Gala too.

Storage - of course it all depends on the storage conditions you use but we are happy with Jonathan, Cortland, Rome, Winesap, Granny Smith. As a very general rule the more round, less oval, the apple shape the longer it will store.

Dave

PS: many previous discussions here about best/favorite apple variety too that the search will pull up if interested.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 9:43AM
readinglady(z8 OR)

I would also rely upon the recommendations of the growers/sellers. They know their apples best. Regional conditions can be quite different, even season to season.

Carol

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 3:18PM
ltilton

Another general rule is the later the apple, the longer the storage.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 1:06PM
cjzimmer

I usually get Golden Delicious for fresh eating. We like the taste of those and they are very common in my area so I can get them cheap. I could get Red Delicious too but I think those are the nastiest tasting apples I've ever had and would rather have no apples than eat Red Delicious (obviously this is a personal preference but no here likes the Reds). I know I've picked up a few other varieties later in the season but I'm drawing a complete blank on them.

For applesauce my preference is Cortlands. But I let them sit out until they are getting soft (and even slightly wrinkled). It makes the sweetest applesauce, no sugar needed. I have also used Macintosh or Wolfs but I don't think the flavor is as good on those.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
Does anyone use a pH meter in home canning?
My question is about the Wisconsin extension document...
randaloulton
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
Carnitas pressure canning question
Hello! I've been reading up on DigDirt's carnitas (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg051438097651.html)...
PirateJeni
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
Cranberry Hal. pepper jelly aka turkey's revenge
Is there any reason why I can't use dries crandberries...
ahbee01
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™