How long does apple sauce last.

hummingbirddaisyAugust 12, 2006

I canned some apple sauce about 1 1/2 years ago using a hot water bath. What is the shelf life of something of this nature?

I didn't add any lemon juice. I still have 2 jars left.

My neighbor said that she eats her pears that she has canned for years, but she also uses a water bath to can everything, greenbeans, corns, etc. SO, I thought I would come here and ask the experts! :-)

Thanks, Tina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

A year is optimum, but even 3-4 years is OK. There can be some loss of quality, but it is safe.

No way would I touch a water bath canned low acid food, not even if it sat for one day !

Bookmark   August 12, 2006 at 6:53PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

I had a COMMERCIAL jar of apple sauce my dad bought quite some years ago. After about 6 years, I decided to open it and found it moldy on top. This was never opened before, and was a commercial product.

Bookmark   August 12, 2006 at 7:45PM
robinkateb(z4 VT)

Ken, while it may have been moldy it would not have had botulism as it is a high acid product. So if you see mold in a high acid product you pitch it.

-Robin

Bookmark   August 12, 2006 at 11:11PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

To me, it just didn't look good. I figured that it wasn't worth getting sick over. Very unusualy though, as commercail stuff usually has so many preservatives added, that it should have lasted 20 years..

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 1:15PM
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

I am eating my home-canned applesauce from 2003.
It's fine. There's is some discoloration on the very top of the jar, but I just double-check that there's no mold and stir it in!
I got a little carried away that year..................:+)
Deanna

Bookmark   August 14, 2006 at 12:39PM
led_zep_rules(5 WI)

A couple years ago I was still using pear sauce that my mom canned in the late 80s. I put it into fruit smoothies so the color/texture changes were no problem. Not as good as the newer stuff of course, but perfectly edible. Pears and apples are fairly similar in my book, Linda Lou can tell us if I am imagining that.

Marcia

Bookmark   August 17, 2006 at 12:02AM
More Discussions
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
tomato sauce problem
This may be a a little long so please bear with me....
jessam
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™