Another Plant ID

CorpsmanCooper(FL8b)September 18, 2011

My husband's grandmother brought this over for me to nurture back to health. Problem is . . . I have no idea what it is! All she could tell me is it's an oriental plant and it blooms pink or yellow flowers. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
writersblock

Looks like Thai crown of thorns.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 12:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirtygardener73(9a)

It is a Thai Crown of Thorns, like writersblock says. That soil doesn't look right to me. It needs very well-draining soil. I always grew mine in 1/2 potting soil 1/2 perlite, and they did great. It needs to be kept dry, and in full sun. You can't get away with planting it in the ground in 8b, because it will freeze. You treat it just like you would a cactus. Don't fertilize it right now, just repot it and put a tablespoon of Epsom salts around it to help the roots grow. A clay pot is better than a plastic pot, because it doesn't keep it as wet. Mine were in clay pots and only got watered when I remembered. I never watered them in the summer, because they got plenty of rain. I have one here with me, but I'll be bringing it indoors once temps get below 40 at night. I almost lost mine in a freeze last year, even covered with blankets, but it somehow survived and came back. I always just used slow-release bloom pellets on mine, once in March and once in July. Full sun makes it bloom. Mine is suffering right now because it doesn't get enough sun, and has been bloomless all summer. I'm thinking of selling it if I don't move to a sunnier place.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
Central Florida garden sites?
Hey all, I'm posting the lessons I learn on my central...
Dunning
Tomato advice
First year growing tomatoes in Jax area. My question...
bea
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
Strawberries rotting!
Hello Florida garden friends! I am having some success...
organic_elizabeth_b
Can Silver Buttontwood be used as espalier in a Belgium Fence design
Dear Florida Experts, I just pulled out 60 feet of...
caribbeancupcake
Sponsored Products
Fanimation Multimax 52-inch Brushed Nickel 2-light Ceiling Fan
Overstock.com
Concept Cordless LED Picture Light
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Darya Rugs Suzani, Black, 6'1" x 8'9" M1783-179
Darya Rugs
Giant Mixed Hydrangea Silk Flower Arrangement
Overstock.com
Algreen Athena Rain Barrel - 86311
$199.99 | Hayneedle