Selling hostas at Farmer's Mkt -- bare root -- potted?

ryseryse_2004March 27, 2013

This is new to this very old person. I need some extra change and figured I should try to sell what I have. I have lots of hostas and daylilies with labels long gone.

Now, should I dig them up and plant them in gallon pots? Then I could wait for them to leaf up --- or should I dig them and sell them bare-root. Please know these are all un-named (although all had very nice names at one time.) Actually most of the best daylilies were my own hybrids so they didn't have names (but were nicer than anything I saw on websites.) I am assuming I should pot these up and sell them when they bloom.

Suggestions anyone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jan_on zone 5b

I would suggest digging and potting. When I started buying hostas I would have needed to see the leaves in order to be tempted. And newbies will probably be your main market. Most 'collectors' really need to know the name! And day lilies in bloom - what's not to love?
Jan

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 7:02PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

you should probably dig/divide them the season prior.. at root growing time.. late summer ... ... and figure out how to winter them over..

so you can present a nice vigorous well grown plant.. for immediate gratification ...

or line them out.. so that in spring.. you can dig in dormancy.. and pot them then ..

the problem.. with digging and potting in leaf.. is the flop/droop.. and how they will 'look' like they are dying ... and who will want to buy them ...

i would think.. that just having a bunch of roots laying around.. is not going to be the type of peeps.. who will come back every week or two.. and buy more .... it would be all about getting some new peeps enabled.. to make them keep coming back.. and feeding their addiction ...

please send 20% of first months profit for marketing advice.. lol ...

ken

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 7:07AM
bernd ny zone5

You have established hostas with a lot of roots, so you can pot them while they have no leaves yet, then let them leaf out, then sell them. That's what I do with my hostas destined for the hosta sale of my local hosta society at the end of May, no need to wait. Good luck!
Bernd

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 9:18AM
bernd ny zone5

duplicate

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 9:28

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 9:27AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

People buy plants with their eyes, not with a promise. Don't expect to sell plants without them being as attractive as they get.Al

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 10:32AM
don_in_colorado

Agreed with Bernd and Al.

Don B.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 3:23AM
growlove(zone4 Ia.)

Definitely dig and pot. I have a plant sale each Spring; dig just as they are showing and by sale time, they are fully leafed out. Try to dig about 60 and seldom have any left.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 9:17PM
ryseryse_2004

Just came across LOTS of free 6" square pots so that is what I will use. Now, how to price? Also how many eyes do I allow for each pot?

I plan to start digging and separating them just as soon as they poke out of the ground. Thanks for the good information.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 3:27PM
More Discussions
mulch around hostas. leaves, etc.
I have always read that you need to clean up the hostas...
steelskies
Hi, guys!
I’ve been reading the hosta forum for a couple of...
jajoana
need help for my yard
I need ideas for this boring yard. Southeast PA, West...
carol0512
Anyone notice red leaf tips on 'Squash Casserole'?
Well, I did a day or so ago. Not just one or one eye,...
Moccasin
Bare Root!!!!
Sunday morning. End of march. Jonesing for Spring. I...
gardenfool
Sponsored Products
Arteriors Home - Irwin Lamp - 42751-899
Great Furniture Deal
White Round Bucket Planter
$9.99 | zulily
Martha Stewart Living Chairs Charlottetown White Patio Dining Chair with Bare
Home Depot
Beat Light Grey Pendant - Fat by Tom Dixon
$535.00 | Lumens
Glen Isle 54" Round Outdoor Dining Table & Chairs Cover
$139.50 | FRONTGATE
Designers Fountain 83884 Del Ray 4 Light Chandelier in Flemish Bronze Finish - 8
$418.00 | Hayneedle
Real Carriage 6-in. Skyrise Flush Pull - P-RC-SKYRISE06-S
$58.00 | Hayneedle
Trending Hashtag Planter
| Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™